Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series 1HZ knocking sound

hr1hz80

Country Flag
australia
Hi Guys

I've got a 97 80 Series 1HZ with an aftermarket turbo. The vehicle has done 289000kms.

I've noticed the vehicle has started to make a knocking sound at all times (very slightly louder when car is cold). I've had injectors removed and cleaned, valve clearance checked, shims replaced however the sound is still there.

I've spoken to some mechanics and they believe it is either a pre combustion chamber or a gudgeon pin. The first requiring the head to come off and be reconditioned, the later requiring a full engine rebuild. Mehanics have said the best place to start would be to take the head off and hope its a pre combustion chamber and take it from there.

Has anybody had an issue similar to this? Can anybody shed some light on the situation.

Thanks

Lie under it with somebody blipping the throttle. If you hear it through the sump it's big end.

You're mechanic is most likely right about the precups. Good chance the head is cracked too.
These indirect injection engines run hotter and are sensitive to being overheated.

Get an oil sample done - it’ll tell you if anything major is happening.

It could also be the infamous 1HZ knock, that many people have spent a combined hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars chasing to no avail

Back