Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series 24V Complete EGR removal

Michael Clark

Country Flag
uk
So I havent found that much info on completely removing the EGR setup from a 24v 80 series so thought Id start a thread.

Im fitting a cross country top mount intercooler so the existing EGR/top pipe setup is deleted anyway so thought I may as well remove all the EGR gubbins too.

Julian at OC pointed me towards this thread. Which is pretty good (Google translate necessary)

https://www.land-cruiser.ru/index.p...e-egr-na-1hd-ft-faza-2-final/page/6/#comments

And then I found this thread too

http://www.sahara.it/tecnica/snellimento-sistema-egr/

So the re-plumbing seems fairly straightforward - you remove all the sensors/solenoids and leave the one solenoid (blue plug) on the intake manifold. The air feed from the turbo then goes direct to the diaphragm on the fuel pump.

Then the pipe to the pump just below that then Ts off with the blue solenoid and the pipe that drops down the front of the engine

Ive just completed this but waiting on my EGR manifold blank to arrive. Then I can test it#

It seems a few dash lights can appear including glow plug (which would anyway for me as the preheater is deleted), but also SRS light and Brake Vacuum light. Im working my way through the russian thread and will see if I can work out what they did

Anyway else done it completely, with success?

I have thought about it, but just haven't the time to look into it yet. I'll be keeping a eye here.
Keep up the good work!

It's easier isn't it?
1. Remove valves.
2. Fit blanking plates.
3. Refit valves. (if preferred).

If you have no spanners presumably just removing the rubber pipes and joining them together will "remove" the EGR.

No need to mess with anything else.

In UK my MOT man tells me any warning lights on the dash is a fail in future.

I think the OP is talking about also removing all the associated wiring and solenoids etc. There’s a fix to fool the ECU into thinking the EGR setup is still connected and operating which, IIRC, involves connecting a resistor across certain ECU connections but I can’t remember where I’ve read it.
Technically, removing or disabling the EGR system is now a MOT fail. I got through the new MOT with mine disabled and valves removed but if the new regs ever become more rigidly enforced due to the emissions ‘crisis’ and you’ve removed and binned all the EGR crap, you’re stuffed.

Yes I am fitting a top mount intercooler, so you couldnt even see the EGR valve or blanking plate if you tried.

Plus You could fit a JDM or Australian exhaust manifold and there would be no sign of any EGR existing.

But yes I want to remove all the pipework and then sort out the little electrical fixes so the ECU still thinks its there

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I bought some EGR/Turbo Spray Cleaner for my 24v, As its got 320,000 on the clock i thought it might be ready for a clean out.... But i read somewhere that if you get it wrong the Engine could over run and its good night from him, So to speak, I just cant muster up the nerve to give it a go The instructions on the can are simple enough.. But every time i think about doing it i make an excuse not to do it.. Anyone done it?.. Knowing my luck it will Rev its tits off, And that will be the end of that.... I keep saying if it 'aint' broke, dont fix it..

Higgy I do it with wynn's egr cleaner every 6 months or so on all 3 trucks , have for years , its like spraying petrol into the intake revs and misfire rattle will increase as a result .

Its only a small can but in order to not let the revs go crazy it should take you 10 minutes or so to empty it one tiny squirt at a time allowing revs to drop between each squirt .

Its not worth doing unless your heading out onto the motorway for an hour immediately after because its just an assistant to a good old fashioned Italian tune up really .

I wonder if you could just unplug the ECU ? I wonder if you could just unplug the ECU ?

I'm planning to paint the bulb black but i'd rather unplug something if i knew what . Disconnecting the fire hazard relay thing under the drivers battery turned the light off for nearly 10 miles before it came back on permanently :cry:

I bought some EGR/Turbo Spray Cleaner for my 24v, As its got 320,000 on the clock i thought it might be ready for a clean out.... But i read somewhere that if you get it wrong the Engine could over run and its good night from him, So to speak, I just cant muster up the nerve to give it a go The instructions on the can are simple enough.. But every time i think about doing it i make an excuse not to do it.. Anyone done it?.. Knowing my luck it will Rev its tits off, And that will be the end of that.... I keep saying if it 'aint' broke, dont fix it..
Please don't do that higgy...Have a look on my intercooler thread to see how much can be in there. Take off the crossover and inlet manifold and do it the old fashioned way if your going to do it.

Iv been thinking along those lines Mike, You maybe right!.... PS the parts arrived yesterday. Spot on Mate.:thumbup: Thanks again!....

Yeh! id seen that post, Reminded me of @danthedrifter's thread when he did his 100 series, It cant be healthy for an Engine....:thumbdown:

Are there any gaskets you need if you take of the inlet manifold ?

Are there any gaskets you need if you take of the inlet manifold ?
I suppose it would be good practice to use new, but I've never had a problem reusing the old ones. They are metal and compress when first used, same as the water pump gasket.

It's a NO NO to put anything down the inlet manifold. Someone on here wrecked their engine by doing this. Even if you get away with it the benefits are unproven at the best. If you don't have crap in there there's no point doing it. If you do have crap it will probo break the ring lands on the pistons, or worse. There's no room in the combustion chamber especially on a diesel.

Back