Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series 4,2 td transfer case

dalibor

Country Flag
slovak_republic
Hello, sorry to bother but I have one question. In the offroad car we have an engine with transmision from a Toyota land cruiser 80 hdj 4.2 td and the transfer box is damaged. The inter-axle differential is damaged. Is it possible that an transferbox from the Toyota land cruiser 100 will fit me? In Slovakia is difficult to find one from 80 hdj.

Hi and welcome. The 80 series in its life had two variant gearboxes with the latter one being used in the 100 series when it was new. However, it's best to get the part number from what you have in your search.

I think you'll find this is a question about transfer boxes rather than gearboxes Michael.

Yes it should fit. I have fitted a 100 series gearbox to an 80 4.2 24v manual. No issues at all with refitting the original 80 transfer box with regard to props, bolts to the gearbox, electrical, breathers etc. It will be a different part number I think because from memory it might have has some extra stiffeners or ribs in the casting.

So in summary - if a 100 gearbox will fit, then so will the 100 series transfer box. The key difference might be in the internals of the transfer box itself with regard to ratios etc. I can't tell you that. Also not sure if the 100 had the same viscous coupling as the 80. (Some models of 80 didn't have that either) Make sure you measure the length of yours from flange to flange is the same as the 100 series or you'll need a different length prop!

You will also need different props as the yoke head is smaller on the 100 to the 80

Back