Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series airbag warning light

Dave_S

Okay, got my 80 series over to the IOM for the local test - few minor issues to sort out (split dust caps, front wheel bearings not properly torqued up, exhaust rubbers missing), and one significant one - the airbag/SRS warning light doesn't light up when the ignition is first switched on. The previous owner has since advised that this was fixed by a garage last year, but my naturally suspicious temperament is that the garage simply removed the bulb to effect the fix. Fool me for not checking when I picked the car up, but as it had a fresh MOT I had assumed all the necessary warning lights were working and I didn't check carefully.

Anyway, a couple of questions, being new to 80s...

1. Is there a quick way to get to the back of the instrument housing to check if the airbag bulb is in place or not?

2. Are there any obvious issues/problems with the airbag systems on the 80s, that I should check or have a garage check for me?

3. Finally worst case scenario are there any proven work-arounds (i.e. series wiring the ABS light to the airbag warning light) for test purposes?

Its a 1996 VX4.2 BTW, if that is relevant, and I can't see any sign of the airbag system actually being triggered...

Any advice welcome. I've had lots of different 4x4s over the years, but this is my first Landcruiser, so on a steep learning curve at the moment!

Cheers

Dave S

The instrument cluster is pretty easy to remove to get at the bulbs and I had to do that on mine when I got it to get the airbag light to come on. The ECU B fuse was also blown on mine which was stopping the centre diff lock working. I mention that because without checking the wiring diagram it's possible the airbag light was that fuse AND a bulb because I replaced the fuse first. IIRC there are a couple of screws in the top of the instrument panel surround, remove those and the rest is just pulling in the right places till it all comes apart :)

Cheers - got to be worth a look at the bulbs and fuses in the first instance I guess.... If anyone has more info on pulling the instrument cluster, I'd appreciate it before I get started....

Popping by the truck lunch time tomorrow - any other thoughts appreciated? Thanks.

Back