Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series alarm Keyless Entry Help

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi guys I've tried to read up here on the original car alarm /. central locking system for the 80 series (TVSS) but couldn't make sense of it to well. I'm hoping I can learn more to better find a solution to my issue.

Firstly perhaps like most my vehicle being a 1994 doesn't have this original system anymore. Most likely stopped working and replaced to an aftermarket system long before my ownership.

I have no original key fobs with inserts and no original alarm or system but have two keys shown in the pictures.

I would like to learn more to see if its possible or worth while to have a system with two original key fobs.

I can get them cut here and re-programmed if there a route worthwhile to get an original looking system in place or better.

I would appreciate your views and opinions

Thanks

Dervis

keys.jpg

Last edited:
My keys are like the one on the right Dervis.

I have two like this
20180208_200347.jpg
I just use the button. When I first got it both the fobs were broken but worked so i drilled a hole in the other corner.
The button locks and unlocks it same as using the key in the door. I have the manual sitting next to me if you want pictures of that

Thanks for sharing Nick.

So your recut your keys and have the original fob for alarm still?

P.s what's the small middle piece?

That's the fob and the car key. Thays all I have x2. The other key in the middle is for something else.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok thanks I'm trying to work out if originally the key only operated the ignition and the fob was to open & close / alarm shown in your picture. Is that how the original set up with be Nick?

P.s the original keys were like this shown below in the picture so I'm told with a sender unit maybe for the doors only I don't know?

Thanks

original key.jpg

Well my fob is the same as the picture in the booklet so i assume its original. Without the fob you can use the key in the lock and it still sets it.

Well my fob is the same as the picture in the booklet so i assume its original. Without the fob you can use the key in the lock and it still sets it.

I guess Nick like I expected my vehicle has lost all originality with the alarm and key entry. Have a aftermartket central locking system only right now using a additional fob to open and close only.

Keys work in the doors too buy I'm lazy...lol

Dervis, I’m not going to be much use here, but my truck is a ‘95 Euro spec, and pretty basic trim wise, to say the least.

I’m fairly sure there was no factory fitted alarm / immobilizer / central locking device, but I cant be 100%.

When I first got the truck, the P.O. gave me 2 x keys the same as the “spare” on the right of your photo.

Soon after buying it, I had an after-market alarm fitted and at the same time, the guy connected it to the central locking circuit. So now I have 2 fobs with 2 buttons, (one for each basic key) and I just press the lock button to lock the doors and set the alarm, and the other button to unlock the doors and disarm the alarm.

It doesn’t get much simpler than that, and its worked faultlessly for 11 years and all for about 60 quid IIRC, including fitting.

If it were me, I’d try to avoid getting the original system reinstalled (if its been removed that is) and I’m sure theres an alarm fitter not far from anywhere on your fabulous island.

Just sayin’

As far as i can tell the fob just stops.me.putting the key in the door. It doesn't work from a great distance but who wants to put a key in the door...

Clive I think you'll find one button is more simple than two :)

Clive I think you'll find one button is more simple than two :)

Maybe so, but I wasn’t given a choice.

Heapo-cheapo, but effective :lol:

BTW, when mine was about 5 years old, the operating distance declined down to about 3’. New batteries in the fobs cured that, goes to about 15’-20’ now.

Dervis, I’m not going to be much use here, but my truck is a ‘95 Euro spec, and pretty basic trim wise, to say the least.

I’m fairly sure there was no factory fitted alarm / immobilizer / central locking device, but I cant be 100%.

When I first got the truck, the P.O. gave me 2 x keys the same as the “spare” on the right of your photo.

Soon after buying it, I had an after-market alarm fitted and at the same time, the guy connected it to the central locking circuit. So now I have 2 fobs with 2 buttons, (one for each basic key) and I just press the lock button to lock the doors and set the alarm, and the other button to unlock the doors and disarm the alarm.

It doesn’t get much simpler than that, and its worked faultlessly for 11 years and all for about 60 quid IIRC, including fitting.

If it were me, I’d try to avoid getting the original system reinstalled (if its been removed that is) and I’m sure theres an alarm fitter not far from anywhere on your fabulous island.

Just sayin’

Thank you for your time in answering Clive. I have a basic aftermarket central locking system fitted only a couple of years ago now since the existing one packed up.

These are the fobs shown below. No issues and the key on the left casing was made / replaced today (after market) so I was thinking to either fit another central locking brain for the new key with silver top and get rid of the dongles that are kinda annoying as they flap on the ignition with bad roads...lol

Only issue I had was I wanted to cut another key to add as spare and but the guy only sells OEM casings with no inserts and that wouldn't work with this brain.

This and me thinking of maybe investing in an alarm and trying to get this in may be a task too far.

Yes Clive original is out the window..lol

Thanks

keys 2.jpg

Thank you for your time in answering Clive. I have a basic aftermarket central locking system fitted only a couple of years ago now since the existing one packed up.

These are the fobs shown below. No issues and the key on the left casing was made / replaced today (after market) so I was thinking to either fit another central locking brain for the new key with silver top and get rid of the dongles that are kinda annoying as they flap on the ignition with bad roads...lol

Only issue I had was I wanted to cut another key to add as spare and but the guy only sells OEM casings with no inserts and that wouldn't work with this brain.

This and me thinking of maybe investing in an alarm and trying to get this in may be a task too far.

Yes Clive original is out the window..lol

Thanks

View attachment 140189

Ha ha, we’ve got bumpy roads too, and I’ve got this lot jangling off my key...

7E788422-7477-4021-9CD6-3995CF318696.jpeg

Must admit though, when Offroad, i do take the domestic keys off the main ring with that clip thingy.

Now I notice two other buttons on the fob, no idea what they’re supposed to do. I think the star one just flashes the hazards, to find the truck in the supermarket car park.

As if I need that, the truck stands head and shoulders over all the cars anyway... :lol:

Yes Clive I know how you feel my keys were simpler and downsizing has been a relief ...haha

I'd like to have key and entry in one fob if possible.

Will look at proper alarm too and maybe even a tracker. Charis the chap from Limassol had brought one as the 80 series vehicles here have become a bit of a target for thieves now. :violence-minigun:

flashy lights when you push the button, now that would be useful.

Back