Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series body removal

Jaymie

Garage
Country Flag
ireland
hi lads. i’m in the process of restoring my 80 series. i’m wondering if anyone has removed the body from their 80 series or could point me in the way of a detailed ‘how to’. thanks in advance

Have a search on Mud - 80-Series Tech - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Whilst there are only 10 bolts holding the body to the chassis, there are many other parts that need to be disconnected - radiator, hoses, fuel filler, steering, numerous connectors, harness, etc to name but a few.

I would not attempt this without a seriously well equipped garage with a quality lift.

I've given the idea a lot of thought though theres zero chance of me doing it if i cant do it indoors with room to keep every nut , bolt and screw in separate piles so i know what goes where when i comes time to reassemble maybe a year later . And i think i'd start by removing the engine first .

That way you could support the body , remove the wheels and lower the frame which should both lend confidence and lesson the need for expensive equipment .

thanks for the replies guys, just to mention i am a mechanic and have a my own workshop. just looking for a definitive procedure, as this may be stripped and not put back together for a period of time.

One of the lads from your side of the water has done or rather finished an 80 just recently someone may be able to put up a link to their post later but one is there if you got time to scroll through some pages

I have an 80 series body that you can have but I want an old 40 series body in trade. (1996 Lexus LX450)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In fact, I will trade the whole entire car with title for a 40 series. Even trade. I will consider projects or partial rebuilds.

Besides other vehicles, I own three 4X4 vehicles and I do not go offroading. I am a Vietnam Era Veteran. I have a farm that requires me to put my '96 Ford F250 truck and my '96 4Runner in 4 wheel drive from time to time but I do not need a Lexus with triple lock. I built both of my 4X4's myself and they are more than sufficient for me. My Lexus would make an excellent platform to build a serious rock crawler for someone young that wants to put their heart and soul into a project. I will trade the car for a 40 series but I have little interest in just selling it or trading for anything else. I want to be driving a 40 series when St. Peter opens up those pearly gates for me.

Robert Clark you will have to drive the Ford because if you drive a Toyota you will just come back

I built the Ford from a body and frame. Started with a factory remanufactured engine and now the entire truck is new. One of my 4Runners was on a trailer going to the scrap yard and I saved her from the crusher. $500.00 I built her from bumper to bumper and everything is new. I have a Lincoln Town Car Cartier edition. $500.00 and now you cannot find one flaw in the whole car. I built it better than showroom condition. I have the the Lexus which is a Land Cruiser with a fancy L on the grill. It is the last of the 80 series and it has the triple lock option from the factory. It is well worth restoring but I started working on cars in 1968 and I am no Spring Chicken. I am rebuilding the front axle and wheel bearings right now but the car does not need anything except a paint job and a new interior.

Robert after the restorations you have done bet your knuckles have learnt a few swear words for those of us that can't read or write could you put up some pictures of your Lexus or if the others members don't mind the 4 runners and others you have in your collection even your lawn tractor is welcome here plus the fact we are a bunch of nosey sods who can coo over a piece of well built or restored bit of machinery like a bunch of mothers over a newborn

I do still use a Toro Wheel Horse from back in the 70's to maintain the grass on 6 acres. I have a Craftsman 54 inch deck mower that sat out with 4 flat tires for years in the weather. I rebuilt it entirely from junk with all new parts and keep it as a back up but it certainly is not the quality of the Wheel Horse. I have a 1967 two ton Ford F600 4 speed with a 2 speed differential that was abandoned in a pasture for 20 years. It had trees growing in the bed. It is restored to new. I have a Davis Backhoe/Trencher with a 2 cylinder air-cooled Wisconsin engine that was abandoned for years in a field. I restored it and use it on the farm frequently. I took a '55 Thunderbird that was in a garage under 6 feet of water during hurricane Katrina and removed every last nut and bolt. I built her back and she was a work of art when I finished. I have the front axle disassembled on the 80 series Lexus/Land Cruiser right now. I have all the parts except the spindle bushings and then it will be ready for another 500 thousand miles. I believe the 1996 and 1997 was the last of the true Land Cruisers and it is the pinnacle of the evolution of the original Land Cruiser. I once owned a 1963 Willys Jeep and I have the upmost respect for the Land Cruiser engineers taking a tough off road utility vehicle and just making it better. I want a 40 series Toyota because I can appreciate it. There is a big difference in "Value" and "Worth". The older you get, the more you realize that difference. I realize the value of things regardless of what they are worth. It is like comparing a Zippo Lighter with a BIC Lighter. I will post pictures soon and yes I have an Allis Chalmers tractor that I restored and I was using it yesterday to pull a trailer with my generator so I have 240/120 volt anywhere I need it. I will post a picture LOL. Thanks for your indulgence. Oh, and the tow behind post hole auger and the Toro Dingo wide track and the ...Haaaa I could turn a junk yard into a museum of fine art!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2535.jpg
    IMG_2535.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2537.jpg
    IMG_2537.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2539.jpg
    IMG_2539.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2541.jpg
    IMG_2541.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2552.jpg
    IMG_2552.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2555.jpg
    IMG_2555.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
It looks a good one but most of us here are on the other side of the Atlantic from you where FJ40's are very rare to find even in a condition that might be restored .

Why not just list it for sale in the usual places stating clearly you are only selling to satisfy your want for a 40 . Somebody somewhere perhaps local has an abandoned project 40 that proved beyond their scope so have them contacting you suggesting a swap .

That is a good suggestion and I eventually probably will do just that. I am sorry there is so much water between us or we could all get together and chase kangaroos or something.

Wrong direction , we have cows instead of cattle and tea trumps coffee any day , though some of our closest neighbours and forum members might argue for wine and pasta instead . Its an international forum but many of us have met .

Reactions: Raj
My Apologizes. I spent a couple weeks in Portsmouth, England back in the early 70's. Some really nice people. I went to a local pub every night and an elderly gent befriended me. The last night I was in England he showed me a parchment of an unpublished symphony of Beethoven. ( I know Beethoven was not British) He said it had been handed down in his family and I have never heard anything about it since. Take it from me that somewhere around Portsmouth, England there is a parchment rolled up of a Beethoven symphony. I went on board the HMS Victory in my US Navy uniform and I was treated like royalty. I requested permission to come aboard and saluted the flag. I was allowed to go to the lower deck. It was painted blood red so that the wounded could not see their own blood. Cheers and Tally Hoe !!!

Back