Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series CV's?

Michael80

Country Flag
uk
Hi all,
I have been reading the posts on the Landcruiser club for a long while and thought it was time I joined.
I have had 80 series for the last 15 yrs and the cv's have just started clicking on full lock or with the center diff lock engaged.
Who's cv's are you using? Toyota's have lasted for 170K but are £450 ea, Rougtrax and Milners seem too cheap?
I use the 80 for towing and work with a small amount of off-road work.
I would like some help with which cv's to purchase as I really only want to replace them once and dont want to deal with damaged axle housings with cheap cv's.
Big difference between Genuine £1k and £100 for Milners etc.

many thanks
Michael

Hi fbnss,
I thought that when I was typing it, Maybe buy one at a time to help with the pain.
The old thing doesn't give any trouble so it's not too costly to run other than diesel!

Hello michael and welcome, i have these in stock. cheaper than £450 each.

cheers

Hi Chapple gate,
Would you let me know the price for two inc vat?

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I only run SKF or Lobro/Spidan CV's. Really good priced and a quality product.
They hold up with 35's and heavy right foot in serious offroad, so thats fine for me.

I only run SKF or Lobro/Spidan CV's. Really good priced and a quality product.
They hold up with 35's and heavy right foot in serious offroad, so thats fine for me.
Another vote for SKF....

After umming and ahrring when rebuilding my front axle I pulled the trigger on new Toyota ones. That said, I've fitted SKF ones before and had no probs.

A decent price for non ABS SKF ones here, they ship from Berlin, so might go up before long or take a while to arrive. I've bought from them before, seem ok.

Thank you all for the info, I have had a look for the SKF VKJA5610 for the abs vehicles and nobody seems to have any stock.
I will try my local parts supplier tomorrow. Always used SKF bearings and never had any problems, fingers crossed its the same for the cv's.

Just a thought, but perhaps @Grimbo might have the answer ? I've not done this myself, very careful tapping might be needed and the hope that SKF are still as true to the originals.

Yes you can take the ABS rings off the OE Joints , I did that with when I changed to SKF as they came non ABS despite the French seller assuring me they were.....TBH it took 10 mins to swap them over , just be aware not all non ABS joints will be machined to the correct diameter or have a machined land to put the rings on .
My SKF joints came with grease , new clips , and well packaged . They had SKF engraved on them and were just as heavy and heat treated in the same place as the OE ones that had done 170K and were still serviceable just clicking slightly under extreme use .

Yes , just carefully take the ABS rings off the OE ones and fit to the SKF ones.........proper job. Tip...... warm the rings with a hot air paint gun and they will just fall onto the SKF joints with minimal tapping....you don't want to damage the rings .

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have just had a price back back from Toyota for the cv's with 10% discount £1060.43p inc vat ea!!!!!!!
What have others paid?

I use Toyota ones, last one came from @karl webster and was very reasonably priced, can't remember how much i paid but were cheaper then I could get from Toyota

Just a small update, SKF don't hold any stock of the cv VKJA 5610 anymore. ODM or genuine?
May just do one side at a time and save up in between using genuine parts.

Hi Chaplegate,
would you be able to contact me about the cv's?
I cant PM you at present.

Cheers

Thats my plan, I have the bearings etc but have been looking at cv's for too long and just need to change them now.
perfect job for weather like this at the minute!!

Back