Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series front bumper

With an excellent description 'it's a bumper. For a landcruiser'.
Also I think he's added a 0 to the end of the starting bid by mistake.

It says at the bottom of the listing "will fit any 80 series Landcruiser"

I will never understand why anybody pays the crazy prices i've seen on steel bumpers surely it can't be too hard to make your own ?

Last edited:
I will never understand why anybody pays the crazy prices i've seen on steel bumpers surely it can't be too hard to make your own ?
If you can't make your own then they are expensive. It is quite easy to make your own for a toy but for something with a bit more finesse it takes a lot of time so if you have the money it can still make sense to buy. If you will enjoy making it, that's fine, but if you've BTDT your time and effort can seem a lot more valuable than it used to!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hundred quids worth of steel , then pay a welder £100 an hour and you will still get it at half the cost of buying it off the shelf i reckon .

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Shayne you crack me up mate.

Welding it isn't the issue. Trust me the hours are in designing it and making it work. There's at least £80 of powder coating to add to the steel. And that is at mate's rates. One off's are always more expensive

It's only your time for free that makes it worth while.

Have a go. It's great fun. But if I could afford it, I'd buy!!!!!!!

Chris

Making it work ?
What is it - 4 mounting brackets then you could just weld a bloody great RSJ to them and it would do the same job .
I accept it takes time and effort to keep the weight down and make it look good but i'm pretty sure i mock one up out of plywood in a couple of hours and i'm no carpenter . Someone who works with metal every day would likely feel metal is far easier to work with than plywood .

Shayne I'll have two please

I never realised they were that easy
I've made 4 dunno what I've been messing around at.

Arf arf

C

Have to ask - why did you make 4 yourself if you think they are worth the 1500ish quid they charge for an off the shelf bumper ?

Don't get me wrong i appreciate and respect anyone who fabricates their own stuff , I'm that way inclined myself . My point is shop designed bumpers are over priced .

Where did I say that? I said if I could afford I'd buy them not that I thought they were well priced. What you need to appreciate is what goes onto one its a huge effort

The point is that home made ones are only cheaper because you are making them for yourself. If you said hmm I like that would you make one for me? I'd say yes of course £1500!

A home made one still 'costs' a lot of money you just don't see the cost.

Proper ones are over priced but everyone has to take their cut and so little is made here.

If you were ace on design and could make CAD drawings then have everything laser cut that would be a route to making things easy. I'd buy a box of cut bits to weld them powder coat. That'd be great. But the fabrication bit isn't where the money is

C

Understood but once you have made your own you have skipped the need for CAD design software , the shops make one then use it as a template for the rest . Perhaps it would be worth taking your own design to a forge . If they can make a mould and cast a copy from molten steel i'd say you'd be quids in after you sold the first two .

Cast a bumper in steel? Shayne where do you get these ideas from?

I spent my youth in foundries and steelworks both ferrous and non ferrous and you wouldn't cast a bumper!

Stamp or cut the parts, press bends and jig weld

C

So a cast iron punch stamps the pattern out of sheet steel . Looks like you might well know the right people with the right equipment to knock out 20 bumpers an hour - Theres gold in them there hills ! :icon-biggrin:

Shane I am (reluctantly) close to paying the £1000+ required for an ARB as there don't appear to be any other viable options. If you can sort knocking some up I'll have one for sure

Sorry Lorin i have a 90 and no plans for a steel bumper because i fail to see the need for one unless you live in Australia and are likely to hit a suicidal kangeroo at high speed .

Last edited:
Made my own bumpers, winch mounts, sliders and bash guards before, the materials have never cost much but the hours on the drive and in the garage soon add up, caused many an argument with the wife!

Last thing I made was a bash guard that went from steering guard to under the transfer box (on a trooper), took ages to get it how I wanted it, got asked to make another but not full length only upto the bell housing, even tho the original was a kinda template it wasn't much quicker as still had to keep making sure would bolt up and angles were right etc etc.

Shayne, we may be at cross purposes here. If all I needed was something to stop 'roos coming through the radiator, I WOULD weld a scaff pole across the front of the car, but ware talking about WINCH bumpers here. This is why we are saying there is so much involved in them. This is the one I made. It does much more than protect against wildlife.

IMGP4238.jpg

Now this one - was 'just' a bumper.

P1013481.jpg

Chris

I was waiting for the winch to be mentioned because it pains me to say - look at your tow hitch , couldn't you fabricate exactly the same thing to fit on the front to mount your winch to ?

That first pic looks real pro by the way it's pretty much what i had in my mind while mulling over how i would build one if i wanted to .

Back