Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series looking for some skinnies - Rim and tyre size advice please

68gtv

Hi all,

I recently picked up my first 80 series, a 97 4.2 VX manual (I ran a BJ70 in Australia on 33's with a 2 inch lift). I have standard 16x8 alloys and fairly old road tyres. I am going to put a set of the new KM3's on but have hit a snag. I would like to try skinnies, was thinking 235 85 16 or maybe 255 85 16. I believe the 235's would be too narrow to fit the standard 16x8 and am wondering if they would look odd too. I will be putting a 2 inch lift on in the next 6 months but want to get through winter on new rubber first plus sort out some of the usual previous owner bodge repairs.

What skinnie rim and tyre size have people found to work best with a 2 inch lift on an 80 ?

Sorry for the noob question - not run skinnies before!

Cheers

Whereabouts are you anyway? If you went far away I'd say come n try both my sets to see but it's hard to compare skinnyish muds with fattish ats

I have 235/85s on 8 inch rims on my 60 with OME HD springs that give a 50mm lift, but the garage did say they were tricky to fit. I might go with 255 next time, although I like the look of the 235s. I think they might look a bit skinny in an 80, depends if you have the wheel arch flares. In some markets they were sold with 7.50s, which look super skinny!!!
I would say go with the 255s

DSCF0324.JPG
DSCF0327.JPG
DSCF0330.JPG

255/85's on 6" Hilux rims if you want a visual.

i have some bfg 235 85 16s set of six. depends where you are though.

255 x 85 x 16 on standard rims. They were marvellous in the snow and mud. With spacers added.

IMGP4077.JPG

IMGP4094.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Brilliant guys - really helpful. I'm on Jersey at the minute but usualy South of London. So - we are thinking 255 85 16's on standard 16 x 8 alloys ?

Why the spacers (I'm not keen on spacers in general) and do I need to worry about rubbing before I get the 2 inch lift ?

Any issues with tarmac / motorway driving with this size ?

Do I need to tell insurance that tyre size is changed ?

Cheers and thanks again - The photos really help !

Without the spacers it looks daft. Nothing wrong with spacers fitted correctly. People are quite happy to change the offset of their wheels, but mention spacers and the letters come flooding in.

Rubbing not an issue.
I wouldn't count changing tyres as a modification. Upgrade maybe - change perhaps, but given that the 80 came with a range of tyres over the ages and models, who can say precisely what it should have fitted? The tyres available all meet current UK safety specs don't they and wouldn't be commented on during an MOT.

Without the spacers it looks daft. Nothing wrong with spacers fitted correctly. People are quite happy to change the offset of their wheels, but mention spacers and the letters come flooding in.

Rubbing not an issue.
I wouldn't count changing tyres as a modification. Upgrade maybe - change perhaps, but given that the 80 came with a range of tyres over the ages and models, who can say precisely what it should have fitted? The tyres available all meet current UK safety specs don't they and wouldn't be commented on during an MOT.

Change offset or fit spacers, same effect on wheel bearings. I ve run spacers on several 80's with no ill effects.

OK - so if i'm understanding this - we need spacers to move wheels out but what size, i'm assuming they self centre ? Do I need different wheel nuts ? Do these come as a kit ? What have people used ?

Just begining to wonder if I shouldn't just go with 285 75 16 or even stick to 275 as a path of least resistance ?

Ahhh - never easy, sorry, so many questions. At least I know it won't rub in any of these sizes.

Cheers

Spacers don't come in many sizes. Roughtrax or Milners sell quality ones. Everything you need in in there. Or go with standard sizes.

Right - Looked at the spacers, no issues with centering, 30 mm each side, just over 100 quid for a full kit. Not terrible, panic over...now back to the original decision point...

Right - Looked at the spacers, no issues with centering, 30 mm each side, just over 100 quid for a full kit. Not terrible, panic over...now back to the original decision point...
You can get 8inch rims with a -33mm offset (which is what I’ve got) which avoids spacers, which tbh I’ve never been keen on. If your keeping your originalmrims though spacers May be the only solution, just make sure they are good ones and not an eBay special. I’ve seen them break. Also bear in mind you can’t check the nuts holding them on easily. I don’t know if people use loctite on them.

I just torque them up correctly like I do the outer wheel nuts. Not had them come loose. I'd prefer to change the offset on the rims simply because when you come to work on the front hubs, there's only one set of nuts to undo.

I’m in Guildford and have 255/85 muds on my 80 with a 2” lift and standard alloys if you want to come have a look/try the spare/try them all.

Rob

Thanks all,

Rob, when I'm back on the mainland I'll send you a message and come say hello. I didn't want to buy new rims if possible, trying to limit costs. Spacers I can handle, with a set of 4 tyres I'll be around £750.

Looks like we have a plan. Rob, hopefully we back just before Christmas so I'll message closer to the time and try and find a time that suits.

Cheers

Keith.

Thanks all,

Rob, when I'm back on the mainland I'll send you a message and come say hello. I didn't want to buy new rims if possible, trying to limit costs. Spacers I can handle, with a set of 4 tyres I'll be around £750.

Looks like we have a plan. Rob, hopefully we back just before Christmas so I'll message closer to the time and try and find a time that suits.

Cheers

Keith.

Sounds like a plan, let me know. The kettles always on.

Rob

Morning Rob, hope you had a good Christmas. I'm back over and would love to come and see your setup on the 80 .I can't private message but if you send me one first I can reply and we can arrange something. Cheers.

Back