Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series no start = no joy

Joshiiie

Country Flag
australia
Hi Guys,
My name is Josh I own a 93 HZJ80 that decided it doesnt want to start anymore the wife drove it home from picking up the kids yesterday jumped in this morning and it just cranks but wont start. I have searched high and low online but cant seem to find a fix. What have figured out so far is... it has no spark, fuel pump does not run no injector pulse either? have checked fuel pump, relays, fuses fusable link etc but nothing seems to be broken? engine light comes on I jumped the obd1 connector and got knock sensor and the usual O2 codes but all else is ok any help is much appreciated.

Have you tried priming the fuel pump? I am working through a similar issue right now with my HDJ81 I picked up a few weeks ago. I haven't yet fixed the issue, but priming the pump has at least been able to get me started. The primer is a circular black plunger on top of the fuel pump, to the right of the engine.

Also, FWIW, the dealer I bought it from recommended I try replacing the gas cap to fix. I did that yesterday, but haven't been able to test if it worked today (only have this issue from a cold start).

Hey thanks for the replies guys turned our it was a dead distributor bought a newbie off eBay for 300 and started right up

Sounds like no power to the ECU with all that not working. Generic simple stuff but check your fuses both inside the dash and under the bonnet. Also check for broken fusible links. These are located at the battery terminals and are a short wire within a heat proof sleeve that then connect to the vehicle cables in little black connector blocks.
Not sure if it has one but this has all the hallmarks of a problem with a crank position sensor. The only thing that makes me think not is that the fuel pump has no power but that could simply be that it’s fuel rail is up to pressure.

Back