Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series not running

95lc80series

Country Flag
united_states
1995 odb2 80 series won’t run
Checked fuses and relays. New battery is in. All the dash lights come on and it cranks. Any ideas?

Take a spark plug out. Is it wet? Does it spark when cranking while holding it against the metal of the engine?
No spark = check ignition.

If it started before with no issues, check wiring and fuses. Any rodents paid a visit and chewed some plastic?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good call it looks mice were inside but I haven’t found what they chewed yet.

For some reason mice and rats like the interiors of cars, a big problem here in Spain, Check the air filter, they often get in there an make a nest from the filter material, I even found a pair of garden gloves in one air filter box. To check if they are still about put a tissue on the floor front and rear inside the car, they will collect them up as nesting material.

They don't like the smell of bleach (well Spanish rodents don't) but don't try that until you have confirmed you have an issue, then get a breakfast bowl with bleach and place inside a washing up bowl, the washing up bowl catches any splashes as you move the bleach about, it really saves your carpets. :) Spraying a strong bleach and water mix on the floor under and around the car tends to discourage them from returning.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Looks like they got in the rear cargo area and under were the passenger seats are. I drive the vehicle a lot so it’s amazing they are still able to stay in it or wanna stay in it. I don’t see any chewed wires. The weather has been cold here could it be a stuck fuel pump? I have just above a quarter tank of gas in the tank and never let the fuel gauge go below a quarter tank. I’m doing the diagnostics by myself so it’s not like I can fire the vehicle up and see the plug sparking. I suppose I can mount my iPhone and record it.

If it is quiet enough and with the exposed part of a plug lead around a quarter of an inch from the head you might hear the spark 'cracking' as it jumps the gap? If they are in the rear it is a little exposed, under the dash ins the favoured spot to nest, in particular if the weather is not great. I actually 'took' a mouse to the UK in my Discovery many years back. Upon my return I had a leak from the heater matrix, of course the whole lot had to come out dash and all. The matrix leak was nothing to do with the mouse, but I did find him (her?) dead and caught up in one of the blend flaps, he had taken on the shape of a set of stairs if viewed from the side. There was no damage but not a nice way to die.

Also if you have rodents beware of the if spent correctly 'Wiel's' disease? You can get it from touching rodent urine, and if brushing out their crap this can also stir up something in the air and that can give you a virus, be careful in there!

Regards

Dave

Do you have a leak of petrol anywhere. My Golf packed up when my wife came back in a cloud of petrol vapour. Squirrels had chewed through the high pressure pipe from the tank pump.

No leak of petrol under the vehicle. Does the security immobilizer make the vehicle crank and not run or does it shut down the battery? When changing the battery could it have triggered the security?

Immobilser allows engine to crank but disables the ignition system, which in turn IIRC disables the relay to the fuel pump. It sounds as if you are alone and unable to check the above suggestions? Remove the trunking between the air filter and pour in some petrol...that is half an egg cup full and reconnect the trunking, now with your foot on the throttle crank the engine, after a few seconds the engine should start and run for a few seconds and then cut out. If it does then start looking at the fuel system, in particular the relay that tells the fuel pump to run continuously as it can only do this when is receiving signals from the ignition system, the relay would be my first port of call, after the fuel being put in the trunking.

If despite fuel being in the air intake the engine does not fire after a couple of attempts, then look at the ignition system.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Is the fuel filter blocked, Often neglected on other makes of FI cars. Had that myself.

Check the mounting bracket for the igniter unit (it's on the left hand inner wing). The unit gets its earth through the bracket - if the bracket corrodes through its not always obvious as the wiring tends to hold unit roughly in place but there's no earth = no spark. Happened to my '96 FZJ80. Run a temporary earth wire to get it running then replace the mounting bracket

Dave 2000 I just wanna clarify you mean the EFI relay correct and what specifically do I check for in the ignition system?

You need three things for an engine to run, air, fuel and electricity, but all at the right time. The only problem that I come across with a Toyota that will not start is the always related to the Alarm, anti-theft, start inhibitor. Often the key will allow the engine to turn but if the inhibitor is not talking, that engine will not fire up. But not easy to trace, usually the job of a skilled vehicle electrician with the knowledge of where to look.
Other than that, look at the timing belt ???

The petrol versions have a chain, no timing belt, or am I imagining this?

Regards

Dave

Dave 2000 I just wanna clarify you mean the EFI relay correct and what specifically do I check for in the ignition system?

Correct, impulses from the ignition system keep the EFI relay switched on to keep the fuel pump running. Do the simple test I explained to point you in the right direction.

As per @Odin 8 The immobiliser can be a problem, pull the glove box and look for a black box, the connections are often green from corrosion from water leaking from the windscreen rubber.

Regards

Dave

Back