Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series pickup conversions.

Rob-o

Afternoon all, has anyone on here chopped their 80 up?

single cab or double cab, just wondering if anyone had done it and had any pictures?

thanks!

My mate eddy had one bobtailed and pick up back. Honestly it ruined a good truck. Off road he couldn't keep up with me and it never seemed to get traction on steep hills. Weight balance was just wrong I believe. It had 6 inch lift and 35 treps too. Pain in the arse for laning as all storage was useless, wet and all his clothes and food etc got piled high on the passenger seat. I just wouldn't do it personally unless having a proper canopy conversion. Still don't think I would even then. But each to there own eh.

I have a chopped project.
Another lad I know is it the end of a project that is mint. I'll ask him if he minds if I post his photos.

Steff has also done one.

Theres a good few around now

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. Karl, would love to see some pictures, thanks! The good lady and I had a pretty chilly wet time camping in Scotland recently and it got us thinking about a very small demountable camper. we have a friend with one and it's a fantastic bit of kit. For me, a flat bed or pickup would be handy at work (forestry) but I can't help thinking that I'll be disappointed with a MK3 (maybe MK4?) Hilux (don't want anything more complicated than that really) after getting used to, and loving my 80. especially now it's all sorted, wink turbo, proper exhaust and all set up well, it flies along.

now mine is solid I'm not sure I'd want to chop it, although if a chopped one ever came up for sale I'd be very tempted to sell mine and make the change.

it's a tricky thing isn't it!?

rob

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Exploring a chop on my 97 1fzfe RHD USA truck. Will either go custom (like Michael Clark) - Maltec like (Dirt Sunrise) or do a pickup bed that can have sides added (so like a 'pickup') so "cabin" can be taken on/off
The large range of demountable campers (particularly in France/Germany) are tempting but then lose some space as fit a standard "pickup bed"

FB_IMG_1604360102999.jpg
FB_IMG_1655066704380.jpg
FB_IMG_1639558769178.jpg

A colleague of mine put a dc 70 cab on a 80 chassis. Never succeeded to get the paperwork done, so sold the project.
IMG_0282.JPG

Looks to be as though the chassis could do with lengthening to make a decent pick-up but that would not help with extreme off road. Unless the body was very rotten behind the B pillar, ruination of a good vehicle.

Back