Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series rear Demister

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
I searched and found zilch, so quick q for the brains trust... :)

On the 80 series rear tailgate window are 2 electrical connectors on the demister. Question : are those both positive feeds or is one positive and one negative? If the latter, which is which?? I have no demister function so suspect a fault on the loom somewhere rather than on the window strips...
So before stripping out the upper tailgate (weather here is horrific - only 2 degrees outside :( ) I thought I'd check ;)

Thanks guys

One is + and one is - (earth). I changed my screen last year as most of the elements were blown but I can't remember which is which. You should get 12v with a meter across the terminals or across one of them and the body/chassis. If not then there's either a wiring or relay fault. Switch everything off and look for a short to earth from either of the terminals, this will be the neg wire, unless of course it's the neg feed thats broken!
If it stops snowing I'll go out and check!

Thanks - I'll go get into my survival suit and have a look .... glad you have snow, just high wind, cold rain in Edinburgh :(

Think there are poor connections .... voltage is there but not great :(

One for a warmer day!

That's what you get for not living in the Frozen North :)

Unfortunately with two large dogs in the back after 2 hours in the hills it doesn't take long to mist up :) so I'll need to get it sorted. No problems just a bit of fiddle I hope

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
See if you can test the current drawn. You could rig up a temporary connecting wire from the Earth side to a chassis or body bolt somewhere. Also a temporary wire from battery + to the window + side and see if it improves. I suspect it could be a broken wire in the tailgate connections. This would show it up. You could also test withba multimeter set to volts across from demister earth connection to body which I suspect may be the fault. Most multimeters have a 10A current setting. You could insert this in a break in the wire (in series) to test the current drawn. Any wires need to be at least as thick as the oem wires.

Back