Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Rebuild

So another update on this, got a few more bits powder coated. Decided to put the front axle back into place, didn’t bother fixing up any of the brake lines as I want to get all new ones and make up copper pipes as well.
2883B432-61C6-4657-B4F2-B79C3FF6C03C.jpeg

New shocks are also on order!
244069D3-3094-402A-8D8D-0154936F7B26.jpeg

It’s still on the blocks so it’ll obviously sit a lot lower than this!
F2C6E299-A10C-4EF1-975D-231A6A5C2EB1.jpeg

Just wanted to get it rolling so I can get it on the lift, next up is to tackle the back axle and get it painted up and back into place!

Also got a new handbrake cable from chapel gate on here, all clips and stuff included, well happy with it!
B4B104C4-CFF6-4464-A58A-5B5143B38623.jpeg
AAD4BAFB-6859-44DC-9757-E67B4A565DBC.jpeg

So another update even though I’ve barley touched it since the last one :disrelieved:
So first off spent ages and ages trying to rebuilt the rear callipers a few weeks ago but i ended up getting pissed off and ordered two new ones! I also ordered a full new set of brake lines around the same time.
6A5CBA53-281D-44E9-8479-BD3F0D42D079.jpeg
9A9FC59A-7547-4795-A973-BCCD7DE5CDCB.jpeg

Then along came the snow and I got very bored stuck at home so I joined a few groups on Facebook and ended up chatting to a lad out in Australia who was moving back to Ireland on March the 16th!
He said he’s bringing home two containers full of all his stuff too and said there’s no problem if I wanted to source a few parts out there that he could throw in with all his stuff.
A few hours later I sourced and ordered a 3” lift kit, shocks, springs, castor correction bushes and extended brake lines all for less than €450!! So cheap I couldn’t pass it up!

65DC031B-33A8-4AA5-9071-FB12A4ADD02D.png

It’ll be around 2 months before they arrive but I can’t wait, so I’m now on the lookout for a new set of tires to match the height! Thinking of getting a set of 315/75/16 Cooper discovery att pro’s
3700C515-754E-4635-B111-DC978EC6E07A.png

They work out at 34 1/2 inch’s tall which I think will suit perfectly! Small bit annoying having to sell the all terrains but I think it’ll be worth it.

Last edited:
You may wish to consider wheel spacers and extended wheel hub studs to run those tyres if using standard rims. I ordered a set of extended studs from Germany a few years back at about 5yoyo each. 30mm roughtrax spacers will eat up most of the thread and although it is workable with 2threads showing you may want a bit more with 35" tyres hanging off them. Don't forget the BEBs of course. Karl on here supplies ACL.

You may wish to consider wheel spacers and extended wheel hub studs to run those tyres if using standard rims. I ordered a set of extended studs from Germany a few years back at about 5yoyo each. 30mm roughtrax spacers will eat up most of the thread and although it is workable with 2threads showing you may want a bit more with 35" tyres hanging off them. Don't forget the BEBs of course. Karl on here supplies ACL.

Yeah I’m going to see how it sits with the new wheels and then see about spacers, I have a 30mm set lying around so they could come in handy! By BEBs I assume you mean big end bearings haha, I highly doubt I’ll be changing them!

Yeah I’m going to see how it sits with the new wheels and then see about spacers, I have a 30mm set lying around so they could come in handy! By BEBs I assume you mean big end bearings haha, I highly doubt I’ll be changing them!

You should change BEBs if they haven’t been charged yet. Known 80 diesel problem, the alternative could be terminal !

Very easy to do on the 80 Declan and you only have to remove the sump. You can do on the ground but if you have access to a ramp then its a lost easier. can be done in half a day. Would be a real shame if you were unlucky after all your hard work, there will be plenty of write-ups on how to do it..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Right i suppose I’ll have to do them now just so none of ye can say “I told you so” when my engine blows up haha. They’re probably not that expensive anyway are they?

Right i suppose I’ll have to do them now just so none of ye can say “I told you so” when my engine blows up haha. They’re probably not that expensive anyway are they?
The whole job can be done for about 80 quid.

£80? I'd better start buying my bits from you CG! Are you sure? Shells and stretch bolts too?

You can do this in about 3 hours if you know some of the tricks. If you decide to tackle it, shout up and we'll give you the inside info on getting the sump off!

I wouldn't wish that on anyone but do know two people it has happened to, so considering I only have 3 friends that's too high an average for me

oh and don't forget to mod the Injection Pump ever so slightly or you may find yourself struggling to take off with all that new rubber especially if you happen to be towing anything but I would leave that step until after you do the BEB

£80? I'd better start buying my bits from you CG! Are you sure? Shells and stretch bolts too?

You can do this in about 3 hours if you know some of the tricks. If you decide to tackle it, shout up and we'll give you the inside info on getting the sump off!
Yes you should and yes.

oh and don't forget to mod the Injection Pump ever so slightly or you may find yourself struggling to take off with all that new rubber especially if you happen to be towing anything but I would leave that step until after you do the BEB

I’m pretty sure my pump has already been played with as it seems a good bit quicker than any other 80 I’ve driven but I’ll look into it anyway

It is a bit more work... remove sump, undo them one at a time, write down the numbers on them, order the correct sized ones, and then the same all again.

You don't have to order different sizes if you go with the ACL shells. Toyota build the crank up with 4 different sizes but that's because it's a factory and they can. I don't know what the differences between number 1 shell and number 4 shell is but I'd guess it's a couple of atoms.

Taiho are a "standard" size too.
ive had a set in for over 120000 miles.

I believe they are sized differently. I’ve always been told it is really important to replace the by the same that came out ...?

Not been our experience and we done literally dozens now using a one sized bearing. I think that you find most cars just use one size. I think this was Mr T just being a bit over enthusiastic. Being cynical, I wonder if it's simply a ploy to get you to buy genuine bearings seeing as no one else sells them individually sized.

Does anyone know the difference between the largest and smallest toyota bearing? Cant be bothered to look it up tonight.
sorry for the thread hijack declan..

I can't answer that but here's a thought. If Mr T is so precise, how did he grind a crank where the journals were so different that they needed custom fit shells?

Back