Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series spindle wear

Jason Read

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hello, My drivers side wheel bearing kept coming loose. Pulled apart completely and found that the thrust washer has grooves in it both sides. The spindle looks not too bad. Does anyone know how to tell if wear is excessive.
There is a very slight ( visual but hard to feel) wear area where the inner race sits. But no out of round or serious wear evident. Also how much play should the drive flange have. Drivers side is more than the passenger side. Splines on axle and flange do look a little worn.
I have a wheel bearing kit arriving. I could do cv's and spindle if I really have to but would prefer to not have the expense right now! The cv joints are not clicking or anything. Just deciding weather to just do bearings and have another look in a year or so. Cheers

The spindle will be worn underneath from the weight of the truck. Measure with callipers top to bottom compared with back to front and if the former is less than the latter replace the spindle. You may see a colour change or other visual indication of wear underneath. The washer can be turned around.

This is almost certainly down to incorrect preload or the hub seals folding in on themselves and making the fit appear to be correct when it’s not. Look on here for Julian Voelcker’s post on setting the preload as it is most important.

What I did with mine is I made the surface a bit rough with a centre punch, so the bearings are more of a tight fit, still too soon to tell how it holds up tough.

Back