Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series to Tunisia

Andrew Brierley

Country Flag
england
Well it was supposed to by Algeria, but the Visa admin was a nighmare, so with 10 days to go we decided that Tunisia was a better bet... I bought the truck from a member sometime around Easter, and as some of you know I had some extremely painful experiences with Footloose. Anyway, axels, brakes and lockers sorted, they fitted a long range fuel tank and Viair system. I sourced the winch bumper from Freeways Lattitude in France which I'm very happy with, and will shortly be posting another thread about them.

I then need to tackle the back. The previous owner had fabricated a 20m mild steel framework and dog guard in the back, so I decided to utilise this. Rather than expensive chequerboard, I used 18MM Beech ply and floor paint for a fraction of the cost.

The next picture doesn't show it. but I bought a 70L custom made water tank from Tektanks in Bordon, Hants) for the base, then used the wings for battery (RHS) and twin compressors and Whale water pump (LHS)

First tier nearly therex...jpg

RHS battery spacex...jpg

LHS 2 compressors and water pumpx.jpg

I then added a second tier to accomodate the wolf boxes (Flat Dog actually, as they were 25% cheaper), and added a splash of floor paint...
Second tier in x...jpg

I removed the rear heater to feed the water suppy to the shower heat exchanger in the engine bay (need to find a photo of the HE)
Rear heater removedx...jpg

Then added a bit more paint and started loading...
Fully Loadedx...jpg

Not much do do with anything really, but here's a picture of our European Eagle Owl)
Bit of a hootx.jpg

The IronMan Expedition expedition spec wasn't up to the job, and Footloose made a complete mess of the long range tank, so my list of jobs before next years trip to Libya is:
1. Upgrade suspension
2, Rock/tree sliders (probably from Freeways)
3. rear bumper and wheel carrier (also probably from Freeways)
4. Fix the aircon which Footloose failed to do twice

All for now....:icon-biggrin:

If possible, could you post a couple more photos showing the shower set up / heat exchanger?

I’m looking forward to the trip report on Tunisia, don’t make us wait too long.

Do think rocksliders are needed for north africa trips?
Only commenting since i am thinking of removing mine for future alps or morocco trips, since it would save 50kg weight. In UK on tricky lanes they have certainly been "used" a few times. But in pyrennes and alps the trails were not gnarly enough to need them

Only commenting since i am thinking of removing mine for future alps or morocco trips, since it would save 50kg weight. In UK on tricky lanes they have certainly been "used" a few times. But in pyrennes and alps the trails were not gnarly enough to need them

Generally I would agree with Andy and say that the standard side steps are fine. On some of the narrower tracks in Morocco I did scrape the steps against rocks and boulders, bending and scratching them in the process. Driver error / bad judgement maybe. But I had worse damage to the steps laning or playing in mud. Its the same arguement as for under body protection - weight versus extra protection / peace of mind. Or cos I can.

Having said that, I have no idea where Andrew intends to venture. He is probably the best judge of whether he needs them or not.

It really depends on the routes you will be taking (and how well you drive!:lol:). On the recent trip to Tunisia we crossed the Jabel Askar mountains on a little used track, and the Defender 90 with us took a significant bash on the sliders. Clearly sand will never be a problem and you can do without sliders and their weight, but if you have rocky terrain then could be of huge benefit. Morocco is def more rock than sand, and you really need to get down to Western Sahara to find some dunes. The Alps and Pyrenees are generally far tamer than North Africa, but even so there are some very testing stretches.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The IronMan Expedition expedition spec wasn't up to the job, and Footloose made a complete mess of the long range tank, so my list of jobs before next years trip to Libya is:
1. Upgrade suspension
2, Rock/tree sliders (probably from Freeways)
3. rear bumper and wheel carrier (also probably from Freeways)
4. Fix the aircon which Footloose failed to do twice

All for now....:icon-biggrin:

The truck looks good.

What is the issue with the Ironman kit? Is is a case of the suspension not taking the extra weight?

Do you have a view on the quality of the Freeways kit? I was interested in their rear bumber with wheel carrier for my 100.

Look forward to the tunisa report too ;)

I might make some sidesteps as i scrapped the factory ones when i fitted my sliders.
And make steel sidesteps that are more substantial than the factory ones. But much lighter than my sliders.

The truck looks good.

What is the issue with the Ironman kit? Is is a case of the suspension not taking the extra weight?

Do you have a view on the quality of the Freeways kit? I was interested in their rear bumber with wheel carrier for my 100.
Yes, the suspension was just two soft. I could understand the back sinking a little as it was fully loaded, but the front was also too soft. I ended up nose-ploughing too many of the dunes due to the suspension compression.

I've been very happy with the Freeways front winch bumper, and called in to see them in Lyon on may way back through France. The brand is 'SV', and the company is owned by Sebastian who really knows his stuff (and speaks good English!). He is a really experienced expedition/rally guy, and the Kit is made to made to his own specification and manufactured in China. He didn't have a rear bumper in stock, but he had his own tricked-up 80 in his workshop which I had a good look over. I have asked him to send me his personal profile so that I can post it on this forum, and also suggested that he might want to join the forum as a supplier.

OK, here are the pics of the shower heat exchanger. I bought the kit from The Free Heater company (www.thefreeheater.co.uk/) for about £350. He is a one-man-band that has develped the kit himself over the years, but his telephone support is superb. I ran the water supply from the 70L tank in the back via the Whale pump, internally to under the drivers seat, through the floor, then up the bulkhead. The cooling sytem is diverted through the top of the heat exchanger and I fitted a switched inline pump so that if the engine is hot it doesn't have to be running to circulate.

Overall Layout

Layoutx.jpg

Heat Exchanger
Heat Exchangerx.jpg

Thermostat (the fiddliest bit to mount)
Thermostatx.jpg

Shower Connector
Shower Connectorx.jpg

Nice setup there Andrew, but it always scares me when I see metal battery clamps so close to the terminals.... was there a reason you fitted the battery this way round?

attachment.php

Nice setup there Andrew, but it always scares me when I see metal battery clamps so close to the terminals.... was there a reason you fitted the battery this way round?
Good point there Paul. I think it was because of the length of some of the in-situ wiring, but I'll fix that when I'm back in there....:doh:

Good point there Paul. I think it was because of the length of some of the in-situ wiring, but I'll fix that when I'm back in there....:doh:
There again, if I turn the battery, the terminals will then be almost the same distance from the steel framework that the battery butts up to. I'll give this some more thought.....

There again, if I turn the battery, the terminals will then be almost the same distance from the steel framework that the battery butts up to. I'll give this some more thought.....
Good point, I didn't notice that in the photo :doh:

:think:maybe a piece of thick rubber mat up against the 'wall' first if you do turn the battery around, or a carbon fiber battery clamp (or other none conducting material) if you don't.

Good point, I didn't notice that in the photo :doh:

:think:maybe a piece of thick rubber mat up against the 'wall' first if you do turn the battery around, or a carbon fiber battery clamp (or other none conducting material) if you don't.
I didn't know that carbon fiber battery clamps existed. Sounds the easier solution, soI'll look them up. Tx:thumbup:

Carbon fibre is conductive, whilst its unlikely to cause a major issue (as its got a high resistance) it's not a suitable replacement IMO.

Can't you put the metal bar in a rubber sleeve (old inner tube)? Either way it may be worth covering the terminals as well.

I like the look of your set up, btw...

Carbon fibre is conductive, whilst its unlikely to cause a major issue (as its got a high resistance) it's not a suitable replacement IMO.

Can't you put the metal bar in a rubber sleeve (old inner tube)? Either way it may be worth covering the terminals as well.

I like the look of your set up, btw...

Thanks Justin

Great setup Andrew. :clap:

Looking forward to future trip reports. :icon-cool:

Loving the random owl pic. :lol:

Excellent setup and the heat exchanger is a great idea! :clap: That's tweaked enough interest from my missus to look in to.. Have a great trip!

Back