Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series torque upgrade.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Nipped in for a brew at my pals couple of days ago.

Was greeted by a 80 having a bit of open heart surgery..
IMG_20200627_113631.jpg

IMG_20200627_113639.jpg

IMG_20200627_113648.jpg

Came out of a British army tracked vehicle. About 300 hrs, not a spot of rust on the engine itself.
240 hp standard.

Boom!

Cummins 6BT .....good engines and 300hp is easy..... but they only rev to 2500- 2800 rpm so it will require a lot of short shifting and or upping the revs and I'm not sure on longevity if you regularly rev it over 3000 rpm.
Suppose you could up the gearing but that's going to cost a fortune .
Interesting to know the weight difference between the 1HDT and the 6BT .......and how he gets on .
Normally see these fitted in Landrovers by those that feel inadequate with a puny 4 pot ;-)

330Kg vs 500Kg so a fair bit heavier with well over 440lb/ft torque at a lowly 1600rpm in "standard" tune.

Very rare sight to see in the uk. Very common in the USA where it’s a cheaper option diesel conversion than the 1-HDT (E) options

Yes heavier and power possibilities higher. Not sure how they would drive in comparisons tbh.

I believe the Toyota engine with a few upgrades would drive better but the cummins wouldn't even notice if you went to 40" tyres because its industrial power aimed at hauling far more weight ,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
With the Cummins being designed for commercial/agricultural use I'll wager it'll not be anything like as refined a drive as the HD series engines, certainly the later FTE.

cummins 6bt vs 1hdt

Attachments

• 60451842_765478523846273_5277006783636832256_n.jpg
    60451842_765478523846273_5277006783636832256_n.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 60345236_299504237653908_6002694856084815872_n.jpg
    60345236_299504237653908_6002694856084815872_n.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 46
My friend put one in a Range Rover. It broke the balls off the front axle and sheared off the drive shafts. What a mess.

My mates just put a 6bt in a Landrover swb .... Sounds and goes Mint, Iv got two 6bt's in my watch list...£900 one of them.. Not a bad price for a good old Lump, But like as been said.. A Tad Agricultural........ Plenty of 6bt's in Boats dotted around the Marina........ Down side of my mates Landrover is the Turbo sticking out the top of the Bonnet like a sore thumb, (As Mikes first photo)

Cummins 6BT .....good engines and 300hp is easy..... but they only rev to 2500- 2800 rpm so it will require a lot of short shifting and or upping the revs and I'm not sure on longevity if you regularly rev it over 3000 rpm.
Suppose you could up the gearing but that's going to cost a fortune .
Interesting to know the weight difference between the 1HDT and the 6BT .......and how he gets on .
Normally see these fitted in Landrovers by those that feel inadequate with a puny 4 pot ;-)

Do you need gears with that much torque? :lol:

Popular engine for diesel swaps in the states, but it seems people do it more for off road use or just as a toy. For those who want to simply cruise down the road and still daily, the general census seems these engines are too agricultural and rough for that. Some can live with it, some cant. But I'm sure that thing will be a beast when it's finished!

My mates just put a 6bt in a Landrover swb .... Sounds and goes Mint, Iv got two 6bt's in my watch list...£900 one of them.. Not a bad price for a good old Lump, But like as been said.. A Tad Agricultural........ Plenty of 6bt's in Boats dotted around the Marina........ Down side of my mates Landrover is the Turbo sticking out the top of the Bonnet like a sore thumb, (As Mikes first photo)

It is agricultural because we used it in tractors .....and loading machines , and dumpers ;-) Also busses and 7.5 ton lorry's.
Bomb proof and cheap to rebuild but heavy as it's block is built to be a stressed part of a tractor chassis with a big cast sump fitted .

The 8.3 litre is even better but a bit big for anything other than a big US pickup .

Would I take out a good 1HDT for one ? No , as has been said it's a good tractor engine ....unless it's for a "toy" truck that's never going to be used as a daily drive or cruise for 100s of miles .
As a cheap tuneable 6 cylinder engine for messing about with they take some beating ..... check out the "Rolling Coal" videos on tinternet ;-)

When I was a lad, back in the 60's/70's, Gardner engines were very highly rated/respected. Most of the Sheffield bus fleet ran them as did some articulated tractor units. My mates dad was an artic driver and drove a Guy Big J 4T tractor unit with a Gardner 180. He used to let us sit in it and "pretend", happy days! I think stopped production in the 80's and you just don't hear of them now.

When I was at college we went round the Gardner engine factory ( Manchester way I think) . Really very interesting but the best bit was in the Dyno room. Brand new engines were put straight to half load for half hour then full throttle full load for 12 hours. The engineers would whip an exhaust stud out and check the colour of the flame in the port to check its health of each cylinder. These engines were ready to work from day one with no real break in period necessary.
A similiar method of running in was seen at the International Tractor engine dept in Doncaster but they ran theirs at full chat for 24 hours.

Gardner are bombproof marine engines but under powered in today's world so continue as handmedowns for live aboard conversions or smaller boats who can make a living closer to home .

Looks like Gardner still do marine engines, but stopped making other types in the 90s. Nice article on the 6LX: best-of-british-gardner-6lx-diesel-engine

A story from a time when "Made in Britain" meant just that and actually stood for something.
That could be an article about the British bike industry. Some famous brands have been ressurected. In addition to their more modern offerings, Triumph are now selling a "Classic" range on the back of the companies heritage but they're now assembled in Thailand. They built a factory over there as it's more cost effective (cheaper?) to build them and ship them back "home" apparently than to build them here. Having just bought one of their Classic range I find them well made and nothing like the Triumphs of old even though they look almost identical.

Where are cowboy boots made ?

While looking for some recently i learned going from memory between 1997 and 2002 40% of all American boot makers shifted production to any place they didn't have to pay American wages and be damned with the lesser quality and a reputation dating back over 100 years in some cases .

Ironically if and when it comes time to change my marine kubota engines i have already decided they will be replaced with JCB .

Back