Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Underbody protection

karl webster

Supporter
Guru
Hi guys
I'm thinking of having some of these made up.
8mm alloy but I can get them made up in 6mm.

A price around £250 would be what we are looking at. Would there be any interest?

I have a few people on a list if I go ahead but I will have to have a min order for it to be viable.

The grade of aluminium is 5083 for those asking .
A quick Google search shows this is the stuff to use.

thanks

20200117_160428.jpg 20200117_160417.jpg 20200117_160433.jpg

Last edited:
Erm. I'll have to weigh one nick. I can pick it up in one hand.

ok great thats close enough Karl. No need to weight. Just wanted a rough idea. Aluminium then?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just for info 8mm aluminium plate weighs around 22kg per square metre of 2kg (4.4 lb) per square foot

I must be a strong lad guy :)

I'll weigh it tomorrow for reference

I've had two in this design. They are very good and not too heavy at all. I'd go 8mm. Also they can reverberate a little if they touch the cross member so use longer bolts and spacers to give clearance. I also stuck some rubber on there to stop it from 'singing' occasionally. All round well recommened and a good price too.

Cheers Frank. I've seen some of the footwear you wear lol.

I love the pumps for chilling lol

Looks nicely made.
I've got a 6mm steel one and its bloody heavy! Ally is definitely a good choice

5083 is what they build boats out of and is pretty tough stuff. I'd still suggest isolating any of the fixings as aluminium doesn't really like being mixed with other metals and will corrode locally. You can isolate using plastic / rubber washers or paint any fixings with Duralac or similar.

ooo shinny! Might be a good idea to start a list of takers like @StarCruiser did for the gullwings

I don't think isolation works. The salt/water bridges the insulation point and creates a perfect battery. I would have thought a couple of cupfulls of grease over every contact might be better.

Do these bolt up to existing mounts?

When changing oils do you need to remove the plate or does it have holes that allow you to get in?

Back