Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series "unsettled" in corners

Dave_S

Hi all

Funny how when you have multiple vehicles they all develop issues at the same time (see post elsewhere re the MR2). Anyway...

Got a slightly odd situation on the 80 Series... in that under long sweeping corners it'll be handling fine, holding its line under power, then suddenly seems to unload and hop about. Tyre pressures are fine, steering doesn't seem to have any play or other issues - wondering whether I've a shocker playing up, maybe? Any ideas before we start ripping into it?

Thanks!

Dave S

Do the wheels ever skip when turning tight corners?

As your LC is a 1996 it will have a viscous coupling in the gearbox which can lock up with age. On a long sweeping corner the inside and outside wheels will travel different amounts and could wind up then skip.

Just an idea.

Hi Richard

I've never noticed transmission wind up on it when shunting about at slow speeds, no. Interesting idea though.... is there any other easy way to check this?

Thanks

Dave S

On mine it was quite pronounced. If i did a u-turn the inside rear would skip. Truck just generally felt "tight"

I'm sure somebody will come along with a method for definitively testing for this soon enough.

Check your anti roll bar bushes as well. Mine felt like that when the drop link bushes disintegrated.

Does sound like the vsc. Takes about 30 mins to take it out. Just 1 circlip fastens it in to the unit. I took mine out in case it failed but I'm sure it made a difference to the ABS so I put it back in.

Dave is it a repeatable problem? Try on/off the throttle round a bend?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Try a left bend and then a right bend to see if you get a difference. I had one do that, it was a bent chassis!!
check diff locks

If you jack up one end of the car you should still be able to rotate the elevated wheels but there will be some resistance, that is the VC. If the CD is locked this will not be possible. When the VC fails it usually seizes which is like driving with a mechanically locked CD.

Right - had play in the front nearside wheel bearing - sorted. Also looks like the rear shocks have had it. I'm running +2" HD springs - any recommendations on replacement shocks?

Toyota ones were not too bad a price a few years ago. My rears rusted through where there is that double skin. Soaked them in hot waxoil before fitting.

Just a footnote to the wise here. Not all 80s in the UK have a viscous coupling. The GS doesn't. Dave doesn't say what model he has, but worth knowing they didn't all get one. Looks like it was a bearing anyhoo.

I have a spare VC ready to go into mine. I am hoping the longer rear housing will fit and all I'll need is a shorter rear prop from one with a VC. Ohhh Kaaaarrrllll!!!!

Thanks all. Frank - do the stock Toyota shock work okay with extended springs - I'm not sure if thats whats on there currently TBH (lift kit seems to be a bitsa special done by the previous owner).

Sorry I don't know but I expect someone here might.

A new thread might flush them out.

Sorry I don't know but I expect someone here might.

A new thread might flush them out.

The extension of the springs will be limited by the finite length of the shock, so with 2" extended springs and standard shocks, it should "work" but you wont get the benefit of the extension in droop.

Back