Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

800AMP Jump Starter on a 4L Diesel HJ60... will it work?

My noco started a motor bike then died. Waist of money!

As Steve said. Waste of money. Had a few as kept sending them back. The one I have now is an expensive torch and phone charger.

Last edited:
My NOCO Genius (no sure what model but bought via group deal here) has managed to start my 1.3l Yaris many, many times. However the one time that I needed it to start my 3.4l (petrol) Colorado, it failed miserably - though is fairness the Collie's battery was flat as a pancake.

Just doing the sums Alex, 20,000 mAh is 20 A for 1 hr or 800A for 0.025 hrs which is 1.5 minutes. Li ion batteries can discharge all their power very quickly, but can the connections stand up to it? I would expect it to get very hot if it could.

Using the 80 as an example (which is what I’ve got info on) the 4500 watt starter will take 187.5A at 24v so 187.5A from each battery in series. Add in another 90A for heater plugs and in theory your jump pack can deliver the current.

The only question is would it actually be fit for purpose? There’s only one way to find out. There have been videos of these type of things catching fire in use.

Just buy a decent portapack battery jump start pack. £100 +/- and man enough for the job. Bought one recently with a built in compressor - so far, so good.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just buy a decent portapack battery jump start pack. £100 +/- and man enough for the job. Bought one recently with a built in compressor - so far, so good.
Got a link for that Dave?

Should add... whilst the above is only 400 amp, as a booster I've used these on 4.2 diesels and big petrol motors without any issue. I've had 3 over the last 15 years and for the price they do fine as long as you charge them up regularly. They'll certainly start an 80 series or a 4 litre Jeep for example.

I've got something very similar to that buried in the garage somewhere just gathering dust because it won't come anywhere near starting my 80. Even when it was brand new it was no good.

Weird - never had an issue - even used one on 440 CU IN V8 and it flashed it over...

Funnily enough, the Collie wouldn't start over the weekend - just about enough juice to operate the central locking and instrument lamps but just a "click" from the starter. My previous attempt at using the GB30 on the Collie was unsuccessful but reading the comments here, I decided to get another try and potentially save the hassle of taking the battery out etc.

So went and put it on charge first, even though it was showing as "full". After charging for about an hour, went and connected it up and the Collie started with no issues at all - so the GB30 will start the Collie but perhaps only fresh from a full charge.

Back