Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80's first MOT during my ownership, time to get cracking!

Ace-lux

Country Flag
great_britain
New member posting here, so please be gentle with me

My MOT is due soon, so I thought I'd get the work started to save myself a mad rush if we get locked down in January. I'd be gutted if it snows / floods and I can't go out to play

I didn't pay a huge amount for my 80, knowing the trade off would be that it would need some work.... since having it I have-

Stripped / rebuilt both diff actuators
Replaced the PAS lines
Removed the side steps
Fit new RT 285/75/16s tyres
Fit new stereo
Fit aux reverse lights

So far my MOT "to do list includes-

a bit of welding / fabricating to:
Bottom of both rear quarters
Both sill to rear arches
12" section of the NS inner sill
Possible bit of the NS inner front arch (not inspected it yet)

Repairs
/ replacement of
ARB bushes (might just lose the ARBs as I'll be fitting new, stiffer springs soon)
Front bearings. Play was an advisory at the last MOT, so I'm going to just do the whole front axle whilst its apart.
Rear brake shoes and handbrake cable.
And whatever the MOT station find!

Whilst I'm at it-

Oil, Fuel, Air filters
Oil change
30mm wheels spacers
2" Peddars lift
CB radio instal
Fit colour matched ally TJM winch bumper / winch
Extended diff/ tranny / box breathers

Should keep me busy for a bit!

She'll be a corker once you get that lot done. Keep up with the good work. Another 80 saved. Pic or two wouldn't go amiss.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've spent an ungodly amount of time fixing up my 80, with lots more still to go.
I started on the passenger side sill and rear arch. To say its worse than expected, would be a very predictable understatement
It looked like the end of the sill was rotten and obviously the rear quarter was gone too. I wasn't expecting 2" - 3" of the entire inner arch to be gone though! Especially as the outer arch was 99% perfect!
I've made a sill repair section , a new inner arch panel and repaired the lower quarter as best as i could with literally nothing to copy as it all rusted away!
Everything is primed and painted (inside edges) ready to be welded up tomorrow....

I'm hoping the drivers side won't be as bad as theres less going on without the fuel filler / plastic guards to contend with..... won't hold my breath though

I can't suss out how to load pics, but I will have some "before n afters" posted at some point

Welcome Mate, Sounds like all the usual stuff needs fixing.... All the best, .........Click on Attach files then go from there, Either from your phone /computer etc... Or it might be because your a new member and need so many posts etc etc...... Not sure, Im just making things up..

Got a good few hours in again today.
Managed to get my DIY repair panel welded in, sprayed in etch primer, the inner arch covered with a liberal coating of underseal (well, a repurposed polyurethane adhesive that works a treat!) and a filler in the bits that need to be pretty-ish. I also made a start on the repair panels for the drivers side rear quarter in between coats of paint etc. None of it is perfect, but my 80 is to be used, not inspected by the Toyota History Museum
2AE48DC6-3D85-438A-92ED-6BE7C14549A3.jpeg
DEC317A5-9985-4FBF-AF11-46E085C04CBA.jpeg
525AA27E-073F-4F4A-85EA-3E5554420476.jpeg
A3A9E900-3D24-4E31-8FF7-1163D40EDDCC.jpeg
8FA770B6-125A-4D14-ADB4-ACD6454B65FC.jpeg
116E67CB-828E-441A-8C4E-7A155F7815AB.jpeg
4EF2FE81-609F-4846-967E-F3DF9C3A9A7B.jpeg
84399518-8ECF-461E-9E57-1531A7905480.jpeg
A2319AC5-D989-4D91-AF39-EFBF53DC1FFC.jpeg
43E227E5-9AB6-47A1-8D84-9825C8F07A85.jpeg
78DA78B8-B6F6-4FE7-B74B-DF8197EF9F81.jpeg

Great work A-L. As time goes on I reckon there will be more and more of these types of reports as rust gets hold of the bodywork and one is chasing the rust round 80'swith a welder and some plate.
Just an observation, you say you intend to fit Pedders suspension, you will ruin the ride. I've just taken a 2" pedders lift off my latest 80 ( and sold) as the ride was very harsh. Admittedly it is a standard vehicle but it rides soooo much better on the standard springs. I've had far better lifted ride with OME springs and shocks or even EFS or Dobinsons but it comes at a price.
Is it a 12V auto?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chassis still looks nice and solid, My resto was the same, Tin work shot, But the chassis as good as new..... Crack On!:thumbup:

Hiya
My front springs are so saggy that the front end is just about resting on the bump stops! I didn't want to spend double the price of the peddars kit on "better" springs.
Given the front winch / bumper that will be going on at the same time as the springs, a steel rear bumper, spare tyre and 3rd row seats, Im hoping to retain some of the ride quality. I'm also coming from an old hilux on lifted leaf springs..... a shopping trolly has a better ride quality
Its a 24v 1HD-FT manual

The chassis needs a going over with a needle gun and wire wheel in a couple of places, but I'm concentrating on getting it through the MOT. I was expecting to find holes behind the spare tyre mount, but I was lucky! Didn't even shear any bolts removing it!!

Nice to see you kept the original profile of the rear panels , Many including myself just square them off so to speak and make our own profile... With the thinking its behind the rear plastic corner and wont be seen..... Me personally was just Lazy :lol: .... Crack on!

Im not planning on fannying around with the drivers side, got lots of other jobs to sort before the MOT!

Running Pedders +2" on our 24v 80 Series with 285s and it rides nicely on the dog-rough A and B roads and tracks around our way - massive improvement on the bitsa lift that the PO had fitted. I think you'll be happy enough with it. Good luck :)

(aside - I'm not sure if Pedders do different weights of spring on the same lifts...?)

(aside - I'm not sure if Pedders do different weights of spring on the same lifts...?)

I got the standard rate +2" instead of the uprated rate.

Got a few hours in this morning, bit of a bittersweet time though.
The passenger side is almost ready for the arch / bumper to go back on, but the drivers side is considerably worse than it first looked. Which is frustrating as I thought it would be the easier side to fix
7A29958C-D24B-4E71-81C3-FA2742F8F8F0.jpeg
D7911EC2-5D45-42FA-BDFE-50BE0A02E11C.jpeg
69FA95FE-CFAB-43E5-9600-0BA7B30C4E43.jpeg
2CADD5C5-E32B-4D2D-9C2F-469ECCDCA3F6.jpeg
2586E0D9-A8E4-4A9B-8C2D-D5F4D3115F09.jpeg

That’s a nice repair you’ve done there Ace! it’s always a bonus if you find you’ve started on the worst side first, shame it’s not worked out that way for you
Managed to get the same work finished on my 100 during the lockdown and at least it was warm enough then to get the cavity wax nice and thin!
I do wonder if the eggheads who are trying to work out if there’s enough capacity to charge all the electric cars they want us to buy have factored in how any of us there are out there welding up Landcruisers - just a thought!!

Another crack of the whip today.
The drivers side has been much more involved, seats out, carpet up.... I'm loving it

So far I've had to cut out and replace a fair chunk of the inner sill and outer sill, the end of the sill into inner arch, the inner body mounts and a small section of the floor pan. Not even looked at the rear quarter yet! So much for having it back on the road for Christmas

I'm just holding onto the fact that I'm past halfway!
1AD82FD6-2A30-4D18-808C-7D02A6252EF5.jpeg
8AC9C85F-2D10-4A92-B1D0-A53AE690CAC1.jpeg

I've been working on my 81 today in the very same place. It's a bloody tough area to get to the body mount in front of the rear wheel.

I've decided to cut the section of the floor out above the mount and am planning to drop in the repair sections in from inside the truck..

When the mount is repaired I'm going to patch the floor up. So a lot of the work is done from inside the truck through the back side door.

Well done with resurrecting the 80, it will serve you very well and they're completely irreplaceable when you've run it for a hand full of years!

Keep with it and the 80 will reward you greatly!

FINALLY finished the welding this morning! Everything has a coat of primer and a generous coating of underseal / filler where required and I hope to get back to the workshop for a couple of hours tonight for a bit of sanding / painting
I'm no stranger to rust repairs and I knew it would need a bit of attention when I bought it, but I wasn't expecting that much!

Attachments

• FAAFED31-021D-4AD5-B9D5-9178E752E1C5.jpeg
    FAAFED31-021D-4AD5-B9D5-9178E752E1C5.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 43
Went in for an MOT on Monday, failed on the handbrake. Got a new set of shoes and a new cable (half the fittings were rusted solid ) and this morning it passed with only a couple of advisories
Now to start a far more interesting thread about bumpers, winches, CBs and snorkels etc.....

Back