Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80's Partly loaded weight today

Andy

Supporter
Country Flag
england
We, (Sam & I), in preparation for new suspension setups, put our trucks on a weighbridge today:

Mine... one spare wheel on the carrier, empty long range tank (170l), roof tent fitted, 2 tool boxes in the back & a few other bits & bobscame in at 3040kg.

Sams: two spare wheels on the carrier, empty l/r tank, roof tent on, tools & spares on board....3200kg

These are our general uk use weights.....a bit heavier than i thought!

They dont include camping gear, any people in the car, food, water tanks were empty, fridges were empty.
I think Sams extra 160kilos were due to the additional spare wheel, steel roofrack (mines ali), onboard air tank & engine driven compressor and the extra weight of his hydraulic winch & associated pump/ tank etc, my goodwinch set up is definately lighter.
He still has some spares & recovery stuff loaded up from his recent Morocco trip too,
so taking this into account, the weights, I think, are pretty much the same.

I dread to think the weight when fully loaded with fuel, water, food camping gear and all that sort of stuff
however neither truck looks heavily laden, I even have photos of my really loaded with 700l diesel, 170l water & enough provisions (inc Julie) for over 3 weeks unsupported in the desert, and it didnt look too bad at all, mind you the air bag spring helpers do a good job in those situations!

Has any one else weighed their trucks as they are for their general day to day type use.

BTW I have been in contact with Superior Engineering in Aus re the suspension (probably going to be efs), and they are being really helpful regarding what they think is the most suitable set up.

Andy

My little old 95 is 2030kg empty. Full tank of fuel, roof rack, storage system and no seats. Fully loaded with fuel water and supplies for 800km off road its about 2400kg. That leaves me about 350kg before I hit GVM

My 80 is 3150 with steel rack, steel wheels, one swing out spare, winch bumper and electric winch, and a toolbox and usual recovery gear box.

I want to get mine weighed at some point out of interest. All the extras add up.

Put my 4Runner over the weighbridge today - 2020kg with me and a full tank of fuel and not a lot else (spare fluids in the boot and that's it, no other tools or anything). Officially the tare weight is 1720kg, so somewhere along the way I've added 300kg of weight to the thing... I know I'm around 100kg, so that's some of it... the definition of tare weight is "TARE MASS - mass of a vehicle other than a L-group vehicle ready for service, unoccupied and unladen, with all fluid reservoirs filled to nominal capacity except for fuel, which shall be 10 litres only, and with all standard equipment and any options fitted."

So, based on that 2020kg I can remove 100kg for me, ~55kg for fuel, but that still leaves me having added 145kg to it with a front bar, towbar and larger wheels and tyres. GVM is only 2520... so I don't have a lot to play with.

Luckily, when we went to Tassie we were 3000kg all up with the trailer - the trailer weighed in at around the 760kg with an 80kg nose weight, so that meant the car was 2240kg without the trailer, and 2320kg with the trailer on the car. Don't forget that the noseweight of a trailer is counted in the weight of the car.

(Sorry, I needed to work all of this out, and here was as good as anywhere!)

Did I read that right, You're carrying 700 litres of diesel on your truck????

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Did I read that right, You're carrying 700 litres of diesel on your truck????

It does sound a lot, 80 in the tank, 170 in the LR tank, and 23 x 20 liter cans on the roof!

oops, my sums were wrong, it was actually 660 litres of diesel, 170 LR tank, 90 front tank, 16 jerries on roof & 4 inside... had only about 20l left in the tank at our next chance of refuelling!
One of the locals petrol 80 with us had 3 x 45 gallon drums of petrol on/ in his, plus jerries!!

the good thing that it only cost 9p a litre

will dig out pics later

Andy

oops, my sums were wrong, it was actually 660 litres of diesel, 170 LR tank, 90 front tank, 16 jerries on roof & 4 inside... had only about 20l left in the tank at our next chance of refuelling!
One of the locals petrol 80 with us had 3 x 45 gallon drums of petrol on/ in his, plus jerries!!

the good thing that it only cost 9p a litre

will dig out pics later

Andy

Wow, that's a weight, especially on the top! Still, good springing sorts out most of those issues.

Guys Always interesting topic getting the balance right with upgrades especially with heavy duty mods.

Doesn't take long to build up excessive weight that aids using more fuel yet also adding to the wear & tear of the vehicle.

Was calculating a series of mods the other day for a over landing setup. Just with a roof rack, hard case roof tent, rear draw setup including fridge & accessories for camping, racked up few hundreds of kilos easily. That's without bumpers, extra fuel, water, lights which tend to be much of what is standard in the mods for these vehicles.

So I can easily see how easy it is to add another ton to the standard vehicles weight with out passengers & fuel.

Always interesting great topic :thumbup: thanks

DSC_0395.JPG

Fuelled & loaded!

DSC_0442.JPG

Roman finishing filling up with a similar weight (this is now Sams truck)

damn, that diesel + water you carry must be around the 750kg mark! Must be pretty top heavy with that much weight on the roof as well, how does it handle/drive? Suspension seems to cope well from the pics

DSC_0445.JPG

Handles suprisingly well considering, obviously rolls a bit on corners & I do take it easy until the load reduces!
Air bags in the springs make a big difference.

Back