Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80series auto trans A442f.

Wayneywills68

Country Flag
australia
  1. Hi
  2. new to site.
    I have just brought my daughter a 91 turbo diesel auto sight unseen, all good except 4th gear doesn't engage smoothly, i have to back off to near idle and it slowly engages.
    I have changed oil
    And filter
    Cleaned pan.
    No metal in pan,
    Just a slight film of sludg.

Whilst doing change i noticed that thete was a 22mm nut on side of box with a flat adjuster bolt that was very loose???
    Is this important???
    If so what are the specks to correctly adjust this.
    Thanks for your time and help!

Yesterday at 8:25 PMEditReport
    + QuoteReply

3. 10959.jpg

These boxes have solenoids in them, one of which controls the 4th gear (lockup). For starters it wont go into lock up without the box reaching the correct temp, if your just giving it a blast round the block it might not go in so bare that in mind but one of the solenoids might be full of gunk etc this is worth checking, Secondly does it have over drive? if so and the box has a fault the overdrive light will flash on your dash multiple times giving you a fault code.
I have had all these symptoms and more, my box had overheated and wouldn't engage in drive or reverse sometimes, I gave up and put a manual in mine as the price of rebuild on the box was out of question, by the sounds of it i don't think you have anything serious on your hands, if you think its warm enough and should change then have a look at the solenoids.

These boxes have solenoids in them, one of which controls the 4th gear (lockup). For starters it wont go into lock up without the box reaching the correct temp, if your just giving it a blast round the block it might not go in so bare that in mind but one of the solenoids might be full of gunk etc this is worth checking, Secondly does it have over drive? if so and the box has a fault the overdrive light will flash on your dash multiple times giving you a fault code.
I have had all these symptoms and more, my box had overheated and wouldn't engage in drive or reverse sometimes, I gave up and put a manual in mine as the price of rebuild on the box was out of question, by the sounds of it i don't think you have anything serious on your hands, if you think its warm enough and should change then have a look at the solenoids.
Yep thanks iv just got the workshop manual for the auto trans. Will look at the solenoids. Thanks.

Simple things first Wills, have you got the right amount of ATF in there and is it free of water contamination? There is a sequence for checking the level which can be done cold or hot and is better done hot. There is also a kickdown cable from a quadrant on the throttle linkage above the pump. These sometimes stick. Check that it pulls out smoothly and returns back in smartly too. If you have overdrive then you have an extra gear before lockup so there should be 5 steps that you can count. You’ll have a button on the side of the gear selector that brings up a light on the dash saying ‘OD off’ if you do.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, not because I am pedantic or anything ha ha. Sorry Rich you know I love you man....

But it's NOT the kick down cable. It's the throttle position sensor cable.

Also with this being a 91, it's very early and will have the much older box. Make sure you are looking at the right manual obviously. Perfectly happy being wrong, but did that version have the electronic solenoids?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I saw the ‘F’ in the title…so assumed it was but did feel there may be confusion.

Throttle position cable it is Chris, I had hoped you’d be along as you certainly know far more about these boxes (and trucks) than I do. :thumbup:

Last edited:
To be really honest Rich I know very little about their function and such. I have removed the solenoids and valve body from one, I've replaced the TPS cable a couple of times (wow they're expensive) and replaced the whole box on one truck too, but I've never delved inside one. I still don't even know how an auto box works.
I do know the early ones were different to the later ones though, because someone told me!

Simple things first Wills, have you got the right amount of ATF in there and is it free of water contamination? There is a sequence for checking the level which can be done cold or hot and is better done hot. There is also a kickdown cable from a quadrant on the throttle linkage above the pump. These sometimes stick. Check that it pulls out smoothly and returns back in smartly too. If you have overdrive then you have an extra gear before lockup so there should be 5 steps that you can count. You’ll have a button on the side of the gear selector that brings up a light on the dash saying ‘OD off’ if you do.
Yep have replaced aft and filter, thanks 4 that. But will have a look at the kick down cable,wasnt sure how important that wood be.,
???? Do you know what the adjuster on the left side of the box does. Because when doing the service it was loose so i just niped it up where it was. Also it is 4 speed but no button on shift leaver. Th
I saw the ‘F’ in the title…so assumed it was but did feel there may be confusion.

Throttle position cable it is Chris, I had hoped you’d be along as you certainly know far more about these boxes (and trucks) than I do. :thumbup:
Yep
Chris has a good point about it being an early one, i suspect it could be an A442 not the "F"
yep maybe!but it says f on complyance plate???may have deen changed???

But have you checked the level correctly? Often when there are problems the level is not correct. You need to have the engine running, then cycle through all gears and reverse and it’s best to do this when it’s up to temperature. Then check against the ‘hot’ mark on the dipstick.

I’ve no idea about any adjuster and never read about one.

The throttle position cable is very important by what I’ve read from @Chris ‘s posts on the subject. It can be both corroded and be incorrectly positioned.

There is a way of identifying the box if you search on here you may find it.

You could probably do with the A442F gearbox manual. I believe @Firewout has a link if you ask him nicely.

The VIN plate on the bulkhead will tell you what box you have.

How did you change the " Filter " there isn't one, well not on the A442F box, that has a fixed mesh screen

afaik there isn't a non F 442 - all 442's are F's / there wasn't a code change to distinguish between hydraulic and electronic control. I'd count the gear changes again and check it's 3rd to 4th you're concerned with or if it's the torque converter lockup which can feel like an extra gear change but only happens at low torque throttle positions and will be affected by the throttle position sensor cable adjustment. The loose nut you mentioned might be on the neutral start switch if it's on the passenger side of the box?

All of the 4wd auto or manual boxes have a F so a non F box would be the version for a rear wheel drive only use of the transmission.. eg a r151f box is a cruiser box but a r151 is on a supra or rear wheel drive car.

Don't know much about auto's tho, all I know that i don't like them!

A442F has solenoids...the F is for four wheel drive or transfer ...he may have A440F as he said NO O/D on stick

The early A442F were full hydraulic 1990 through to 1992. No solenoids
Two types of A442F...the first edition had selenoids, no 2nd start and ECT the second edition has PWR button and 2nd start, the earlier model LC had A440F PRND32L and the A442F has PRND2L and has an OD button....also, to continue on the issue...the 22mm bolt must be the one for the transfer case, center diff or however you call it...that uses 75W90 oil fill it until it starts to drip, the close it, if transfer case is low on oil or without it, the tranmssion will get hot, it will affect gear change

Last edited:
Back