Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 Landcruiser / egr info/help

denjil

Country Flag
malta
Hi all,

I will soon be installing a 3 inch dump pipe to my land cruiser 90, euro model without intercooler.

During this process I will be blocking the EGR (or removing the whole system if not much of a hassle) and I was also looking into removing the throttle butterfly if there are any significant gains.

I have found a lot of info on this site regarding this but would like to be sure about some things before actually removing it…

The only cons of removing this will be a rougher shut down and risk of ‘runaway’ engine? Will the engine reliability be reduced in any other way?

With this removed will the throttle response be better? Or maybe less turbo lag? And will intake sound increase?

Taking all things into consideration is this worth it being done?

Help/opinions are greatly appreciated since here in Malta I cannot find anyone that has done it.

Thanks.

Daniel.

16423002_10207320641608495_3841690300253140079_o.jpg

The egr comes off the exhaust manifold on the engine , it's tight to get the bolts off the chrome pipe at the back of the engine so having rounded the nut i had to take the whole manifold off just to stick a plate in there . The egr serves no good purpose and your better off without it .

The butterfly doesn't really do anything either i noticed no difference at all when i removed mine .

The 3" dump will alter things dramatically , the turbo will spool up quicker and it feels like the engine has been replaced with something different , its hard to explain in words but it kind of releases the tethered beast . Engine breaking will be reduced considerably and its almost as if the truck will demand more power so you will likely end up turning up the fuel .

I still couldn't get the fuel air mix to feel right until i went for a K&N high flow air filter .

While your at it turn up the boost . It was all a learning curve for me and most of the process can be found here

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/elecronic-diesel-tuning-devices.137797/

Thanks a lot for your input Shayne, yes in fact I read parts of that thread :)

So I shall start with the pump pipe, 3'' exhaust and block EGR for now.

Could you also let me know what is the standard boost on these engines and what is the safe limit with the dump pipe fitted?

Some anally retentive rocket scientist at Toyota decided it would be funny to piss us all off by adding a fuel cut off if boost goes past 14psi so there's your limit though there is ways to get around it , personally i think 14 is enough .

You don't need the butterflies they are held in with 2 screws each so why not get rid while she's parked up for other work anyway , i may be wrong but i think Toyota only added the butterfly to mechanically manage when the egr gas got cycled through the engine .

Yeah, even in the petrol engines like 4efte, 3sgte all have fuel cut but there are chips you can easily install to the ecu to remove it.

My engine is the euro 1kz without the intercooler, its still fine to add boost to 14psi after the dump pipe? or not recommended without intercooler?
Also, my dump pipe has a bung welded for an EGT sensor.. do you know what the safe limit for egts is please? 750 C ?

I never fitted my EGT sensor safe in the knowledge she is running cooler than she does with the standard and appalling Toyota dump pipe , 750 is the number i recognize from web searches but i have no personal experience .

Few chips (if any) will alter the boost limit on these motors as far as i know they all just interfere with the ecu controlled fuelling . I would be happy if someone would correct me on that with a link to a chip you can buy that also ups the boost limit :drool:

The 3" dump is making your engine stronger rather than weaker :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No chip will alter boost levels on these engines as the wastegate is purely mechanical unlike the newer variable vane turbo's on the D4D lump.

I noticed a improvement removing the butterfly valve though this was the same time I ported the head and turbo so I'm not sure where my gains came from. Was using less throttle afterwards but it makes sense because on cruise doing 70mph you're probably at 25% wide open throttle. That butterfly valve is hardly open at that kinda position and is such a nuisance to the airflow going into the head.

Like shayne said though, the exhaust, specifically the down pipe will give you the most significant gain.

thanks for your input Beau.

So after removing the butterfly valve you did not notice engine shut downs to be rougher ? I read this on many different posts and it was my main concern.

Right now you are shutting down a car but after fitting the dump pipe etc you will be shutting down a truck .

I got all but one butterfly screws out with a precision screwdriver , i had to use a screw extractor on the last , but i could have put them back in again but it never crossed my mind to .

My truck didn't have an intercooler i added that later .

Mine does shut down a bit more rough, but it doesn't rock the truck. Sometime's it's smooth. Some say it doesn't effect them.

Thanks for the help guys.

So best thing will be to do everything together.

One last thing I would like to know, is it safe to boost to 14 psi without intercooler? If it is ok to add boost, should I add fuel from the 'spill valve' at the same time?

It's safe to add boost your just putting more air in is all and diesels love to breathe an intercooler adds power by increasing the oxygen content of air that goes into the bang , it does nothing to cool the engine .

Turning up the fuel takes less than 2 minutes there is a cap on top of the pump you just pull it off with pliers , undo the lock nut and turn the little 6 or 7mm screw a tiny little bit to increase flow .

But i would say leave the fuel alone until your up and running again see how she feels , if the rev counters climbing but the truck isn't accelerating then you should turn it up a touch and test run , then maybe a little more and so on .

What you don't want is clouds of smoke on start up from too much fuel , and besides too much fuel can sap power because it doesn't leave room for enough air to make an efficient bang . It's a touchy feely process take your time with it , when you feel its good drive it for week and then alter to see if you can notice the difference .

Small update... So finally I got the dump pipe fitted.. and blocked egr :grinning::grinning:

One bolt was impossible to get off so mechanic ended up taking out the manifold / turbo.. also replaced the timing belt.

Didn't drive it much but there is a noticeable difference with a larger dump pipe.. feels much more easy to get revs up now.

Here's a clip of how it sounds at the moment with open exhaust :smilingimp::smilingimp:
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1nEaSQPfqcD

Back