90 rear axle

JakeM

Country Flag
uk
wanted: rear axle
TACH]

IMG_2562.JPG

Last edited:
Milner sell brand new rear axles. They're empty of course so you need to swap your diff etc over to it, but it would be like one from the factory. That's a shocker. I guess the locker motor has gone too. You could get a scrap on in better nick, but you'd need to know the diff ratio first.

I dont know but it might be a manual/ auto thing like the 80's. I wouldn't mind knowing if the petrol autos back axle ratios are the same as the diesel ones.

Oh we've been through this several times in the past. Yep different ratios. In fact there seem to be more ratios than actual variants. Fine if you swap them both of course.

Rear will be the same ratio as front will it not ?

If so there should be a white sticker on the axle tube at the front telling you what ratio .

Guys - of course the front and rear need to be the same. It doesn't matter THAT much what the ratio is but they have top be the same. Yes your diff will fit any new axle but ones with LSDs and electric lockers would be different. So if you get an old axle make sure it's UK spec. You could actually change the ratio for the better. I had a shortie manual and it was terribly low geared. ON the motorway it needed a 6th gear. The auto was utterly different.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There are a few S/H axles about but everyone knows what they are worth IF they are any good, good luck with your search.

Freedom 4x4 may have one from breaking lil blue other than that I use a breaker on eBay (can't do links on iPad) but he calls himself toyotaparts and the picture is a maroon collie , he usually has several trucks available .

Just a quickie, the front diff locker from an 80 will fit with a slight modification to the wiring.
The big problem with the Collie axles is that the drain holes arent big enough at the base of the turrets, they get blocked up and water sits there, then the turret breaks off unexpectedly.

Just throwing this out there, but I think the axles off the Toyota 3rd Gen 4runners are the same too? Only thing is I believe none of them came with a Diff lock, just LSD, so I dont know if it'll work, thoughts?

I thinks that's the worst rust I've seen!

Beau's correct the 3rd gen 4runners (hilux Surf here) share the same axle, diff lock was a option and very rare on these.

Having been through the headache of the rusty rear turrets, sourcing a 2nd hand one, discovering that was as bad as the original and then paying an engineering place to sort it all out. I would have bought a new casing if Milners had them at the time. I think any 2nd hand axle will need a little work to it unless you find a very good one.

Are you looking for a replacement diff as well? or just the axle

Trevor does have a spare rear axle off Lil Blue but I think it's earmarked. He does also deal with Milners and of course shipping an axle to your house is no small undertaking. If you are within striking distance of Brackley, I'd give him a call and get the job done properly plus I'd have it done with his special Buzzweld coating before it goes on. There's no telling how good the paint will be on a replacement axle. Whatever you do, I'd get it coated before you stick any bits on it. Protect your investment.

If you find you need any rear bearings or seals doing, they can be beyond the scope of some garages due to the necessary tooling.

Brackley is a mere 176 miles from here according to google maps. But anything is possible.
Overland Cruisers is a touch nearer. Has anyone used them?

i don't think there are any go to people for the 90 series mate , Trev and Ed at freedom 4x4 were both regulars on here when I joined the forum and both were driving swb 90's .

Overland Cruisers is a touch nearer. Has anyone used them?

Errrm, sorry when did you say you needed it by ?

I'll have a locker if you need one jake.

Does your truck have abs?

Back