Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 series D4D injectors

Brecht

Country Flag
belgium
Hello,

Been looking at a lot of video's from fourby4diesel on youtube about the D4D's in prado's and I was wondering did some of you change the injectors and/or the injector seats and at what point?

Tried to look up through the oil plug on the sump, to see in what kind of state my oil pickup was but couldn't see it even with an endoscope.

Mine is an 2002 90 prado with 320 000km roughly, owned it for a year and I think it drives good but who knows. Interested to hear your feedback!

On the 120s you can get some idea of the injector condition looking at the techstream data but not sure if the 90 gives the same info. Someone here will know though ....

Tbh if it's a d4d with 320,000km on original injectors they probably need changing - that would be my default position!

In my view the 120's D4D is not as good as the D4D they put in the 90 series .

How , why and whats different i don't know but i would not be influenced if fourby is discussing the 120 .

In my view the 120's D4D is not as good as the D4D they put in the 90 series .

How , why and whats different i don't know but i would not be influenced if fourby is discussing the 120 .
Yes, I haven't seen any information (yet) about the injectors or the injector seats in de D4D (1KD FTV) in the 90 series, so I don't know if they have the same problems! I know about the lower ball joint, as far as I know mine is still the original and still doesn't have any play in it. But almost all components are original on my vehicle as far as I know. The previous owner only towed a horse trailer here and there but he wasn't at an area where you had to go on dirt tracks (etc.) So...

On the 120s you can get some idea of the injector condition looking at the techstream data but not sure if the 90 gives the same info. Someone here will know though ....

Tbh if it's a d4d with 320,000km on original injectors they probably need changing - that would be my default position!
Yes original injectors, turbo, LBJ as far as I know. You could see it as proof that the vehicle hasn't been pushed for all these years. But at what point will the components fail due wear, thats the negative side of the story.

I think the injectors on the 1KD-FTV wear out eventually regardless of injector seats or if the engine is in a 90 or 120 or a hilux. Best way is to check them with Techstream data.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Your concerned about injectors because BMW on realizing they couldn't build a better engine instead created laws and software to cheat those laws , thus forcing competitors to downgrade their engines in order to meet the new criteria .

This happened after the D4D was put into your 90 .

Nothing lasts forever and its probably worth checking injectors of any car over 10 years old , but if it runs and sounds good then there is little need for concern . I use a bottle of Wynn's diesel gold once a year just because it does no harm and i am inclined to think it does some good .

What else can you do with techstream? Apart from the injector value's.

All the usual diagnostic stuff you'd expect - eg read codes from each subsystem, look at live data etc - also utilities such as programming keys and bleeding ABS unit...

Basically, if its possible on a toyota, Techstream can do it. Other tools apart from techstream can also read live data (which is what you need for injector stats), but don't know what works with a 90.

What does techstream do for an 80 series , asking for a friend who owns a 90 from the same era .

Its well known that im not into tech so im just wondering if its an expensive way to learn not very much at all and a trip to the injector shop might prove more economical .

Do you mean what it does to the 90? Or an 80 from the same era of the 90? I guess if it is from the same era it would do the same.

It gives some diagnostic data that you could compare to the reference data, so you can see if there is something wrong with it. So you should have the reference data and have the knowledge (or find it somewhere) what to do if something isn't right.
What does techstream do for an 80 series , asking for a friend who owns a 90 from the same era .

Do you guys know if you could remove the oil sump without removing something like the front diff or so ? Looks like it could be removed without removing something else first, but you never know what would block it.

It's not an expensive way if you already have it, or know someone with it.
And not learn much ????

What i mean is i don't know anyone who has one to borrow and i'm not convinced it would tell me anything much at all even if i could find one to buy . I bought one supposed to fit my 1997 KZJ90 and its still here unused and good for nothing maybe 10 years later .

1344471E-4052-474E-A05B-D6520D6D11F5.jpeg

Back