Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 Series Engine Options

Jay3

Country Flag
canada
I am in the market for a late 90's or early 00's Land Cruiser (probably something in the 1999-2002 range). I landed on the 90 series mainly because of engine size (although I do really like the larger 100 series, I'm not sure I want to live with the 4.7L v8 fuel economy). The 90 series (Prado?) of this vintage appear to come in 3 different engine options as follows (I hope I have it right):
  1. RZJ95W (2.7L I4 Petrol)
  2. KZJ95W (3.0L I4 Diesel)
  3. VZJ95W (3.4L V6 Petrol)
The obvious difference is the engine size and that the 3.0L is diesel. What I am wondering about is whether each of these engines has proven to be as good as the other. Is there one that has stood out as the most reliable? Are any known to have issues over the others? I did take some time searching the forums but didn't necessarily get a clear picture as to which of these might be superior in terms of the experts/owners views.

Any comments/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

in late 2000 the 90 was fitted with a D4D engine, perhaps the better option? 1kd-ftv no overheating problems as far as I know. I have one of the last kzj's and although moly coddled and serviced, bloody head went after 100k miles :(

Option 4 is the KDJ95 diesel , the one Steve mentions , if it was ever made available in your neck of the woods .

Given that you're in Canada, I would imagine that fuel costs are more affordable than the UK or Europe. In those circumstances, I would opt for the 3.4V6 (5VZ-FE engine).

It provides a decent combination of off-road grunt and on-road refinement, without a huge penalty when compared against the KZJ versions at the fuel pump - about 22mpg vs 26mpg.

Again not 100% sure about Canada but in the US, the 5VZ-FE is very common and fitted to a variety of Toyota vehicles from the mid '90s to mid '00s. So parts and servicing shouldn't be an issue either.

(not that I'm biased of course! ;) )

I would tend to agree that the 3.4l v6 is your best bet. I doubt the diesels were very common in the North American market, in fact I'm surprised the 90 series was even available there as the 4 Runner was their main mid-size option for a long time until the Lexus rebranding of the 120 series.

Either way, the refinement of the v6 would be preferable, and unless you plan on doing very heavy towing, then torque is not an issue.

The diesel would be cool up your end, but the 3.4 v6 lump would make getting parts and all that very easy for you. Depends on what you can find.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The diesel would be cool up your end, but the 3.4 v6 lump would make getting parts and all that very easy for you. Depends on what you can find.
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. It is very much appreciated and helpful to me. They actually do not sell Land Cruisers in Canada (although we do have Lexus) - I am looking to bring one in from Japan. I think I will lean toward the V6 as many of you suggest.

If you import from Japan, it will be right hand drive. I doubt there are many left of that age in Japan as their yearly technical test is super strict. At that age, may be some problems with rust.
I would say that you would be better looking in Southern Europe.

I am in the market for a late 90's or early 00's Land Cruiser (probably something in the 1999-2002 range). I landed on the 90 series mainly because of engine size (although I do really like the larger 100 series, I'm not sure I want to live with the 4.7L v8 fuel economy). The 90 series (Prado?) of this vintage appear to come in 3 different engine options as follows (I hope I have it right):
The obvious difference is the engine size and that the 3.0L is diesel. What I am wondering about is whether each of these engines has proven to be as good as the other. Is there one that has stood out as the most reliable? Are any known to have issues over the others? I did take some time searching the forums but didn't necessarily get a clear picture as to which of these might be superior in terms of the experts/owners views.

Hi Jay,
The 2.7 engine is underpowered for the weight of a J90 or J95.
The Kzj9 has a 3.0 diesel engine with torque at low engine speed, available in non turbo (125HP) and with turbo (+/- 160HP)
Vzj9 has v6 petrol (178 HP)
The VZJ9 and the KZJ turbo diesel are both great engine's.
If you use them for towing in terrain, farming etc. i would advise 3.0 turbo diesel manual shift.
If you use it for towing on flat surface or cruising without towing, would recommend 3.4 v6 automatic.
The diesel engine has torque at low rpm, the petrol has torque at higher range and more souplesse in engine.
Diesel uses +/- 8-10 km/L
Petrol uses +/- 5-7 km/L
In europe most sold are diesel engine's because diesel is cheaper at gas station.
I personally have a 3.4 V6 automatic, which is professionally converted to running on LPI (liquid Propane Injection) I'm first owner, and car became 20 years in February 2017 and has over 350.000 km. Best car i've ever bought !!
IMG_0682.JPG

I don't think there was a non turbo 3l Colorado

Back