Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 Series FX dual battery set up

Mick W

Country Flag
great_britain
My Collie is the base FX model which only has the single battery configuration. Would I be right in thinking I only need this wiring loom to add a second battery (not forgetting the tray/clamp etc.)?

This loom has come off a 97 model Collie which didn't have any other components connected or wired in.

IMG_20211010_121141.jpg

For what reason do you wish for the second battery Mick?

If as a parallel starter battery for extra ‘ooomph’ on startup, does it need it? Or for a leisure battery setup? Two batteries in parallel is never the perfect scenario it is expected to or should be, due to the cells being in a bank and doing their own thing within each battery and not getting an even charge across the battery.

If you are having starting issues in cold temperatures and need lots of cranking power, the second battery was added by Toyota to assist with this. If you’re not, you don’t need it. Just put the best quality highest capacity battery in the single battery tray.
If on the other hand you want to add a battery for leisure purposes, that loom will not be ideal. If running the same chemistry battery then a simple intelligent split charge relay would suffice. If utilising an AGM or sealed gel type battery or even lithium, you need a separate charger to manage the charging of that battery to give it the best possible life expectancy. Even a standard battery of the same chemistry as the starter battery would benefit from this, but the benefit is greater when dissimilar chemistry batteries are used. A DCDC charger is an ideal solution to look after a second battery.

Last edited:
Really can't say anything that SC hasn't already said. Quite common to take the second battery out, or split it. Putting it back in isn't the smart move. Sounds sexy 'the Winter pack' as it was called but has been more trouble than benefit to many owners.

Cheers for the feedback. I've got a brand new battery and a back up lithium starter pack plus a multi panel solar pack (which I put out to keep battery topped up). May be I'll hang the loom up just as momento of what others have and the FX doesn't. One less thing to go wrong then..... :think: :lol:

I added a second battery to my FX as an auxillary for fridge etc.
I made my own wires up to connect to main one, and think I got a battery tray and clamps from scrap yard.

Back