Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 series MOD's

DarkAngl

Country Flag
australia
Ok I am new to the 4x4 scene and have bought a 1999 Toyota Landcruiser Prado and currently upgraded to central locking, interior lights and reversing camera and currently looking into adding a bull bar, winch and driving lights in the coming weeks/months.

My question is whether I can fit a 80 series bull bar to a 90 series? I know the mounts may be slightly different but can't see much difference between the designs from what I can see from the photos I have looked at on eBay. Wanting to fit a winch and have seen alloy and steel bull bars going pretty cheep with the exception of 80 vs 90 series.

I realise that an alloy bull bar will not be able to mount a winch directly to the bar so would prefer the steal bars although not concerned if I can save a few extra dollars and get a alloy and mount the winch behind it, (if possible).

The difference between an 80's vs 90's is about $500-$800 so if I can mount an 80's it would save me a heap that could go towards a new winch.

Is it possible and how much modification would I have to do to the bar to allow it to mount to my 90 series? Below is a link to the bar I have been looking at (steel bar first link and allow bar second).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Landcrui...029081?hash=item2eeb96dfd9:g:N0MAAOSwLzdWTnpQ
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-L...739632?hash=item3d10f8b470:g:xdQAAOSwX~dWjY5V

Any help would be great. I am pretty good with electronics and slightly mechanically minded but have friends that I can lean on if need be.

Hi there,I'm sure the 80 bull bar will be too wide and if you look at the back of your bumper there is a place for the winch I'm sure somebody will be along with more info though buddy.

I toyed with the same idea and ultimately decided spending more will likely save time and money in the long run .

Not much room for a winch in the 90 series and unlike the 80 the headlights more or less meet the bumper they and the grill are supported by a not very strong bolt on bridge , the bumper slots between the two .

Altering things so it bolts on should not be difficult it's the little things like how it will meet the arches , will the winch mount need moved as well and so on and so forth .

Sod's law dictates the one you want will be on ebay the day after you spend your money so have patience .

Thanks for the reply and look forward to finding the one I want with the money I have or adding more to it over time. Another mod I am looking at doing is cruise control which I have found an aftermarket on eBay for just over $200. Was there one created for the 90 series by Toyota or am I better off getting an aftermarket one and fitting that?

Thanks heaps for the input so far and look forward to hearing your helpful hints and replies.

From memory, the 80 series chassis is narrower than the 90 series(?).......

Going by the Toyota Global site there were 2 models made, the HDJ81V - Hardtop, 4 door, long and wide body and the HZJ81V - Hardtop, 4 door, long and narrow body.
http://www.toyota-global.com/showroom/vehicle_heritage/landcruiser/collection/model_80_3.html

Not to sure whether or not the HDJ81V was as wide as the 90 series so would like to know if anyone has the specs on the 80 series vs 90 series, specifically the HDJ81V as its my best bet to fit the 90 series KZJ95W - Hardtop, 4 door, long body.
http://www.toyota-global.com/showroom/vehicle_heritage/landcruiser/collection/model_90_3.html

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Wide body means it came with bolt on wheel arches some take them off trucks that came that way and others put them on trucks that came without , the chassis will be the same .

As far as my research goes, I've found the following:

80 series Widths
* 1,830 mm (72.0 in) (1990–91)
* 1,930 mm (76.0 in) (1992–97)
As Shayne says, some models after 1992 did not have the plastic over-arches.

90 series Width
1,820 mm

Hope this helps...

As far as my research goes, I've found the following:

80 series Widths
* 1,830 mm (72.0 in) (1990–91)
* 1,930 mm (76.0 in) (1992–97)
As Shayne says, some models after 1992 did not have the plastic over-arches.

90 series Width
1,820 mm

Hope this helps...

Thanks heaps, this helps quite a lot as the 90-91 is only 10mm outside the 90 series so I presume the bull bar for that model will be quite fine, with a bit of modification of course.

Thanks heaps, this helps quite a lot as the 90-91 is only 10mm outside the 90 series so I presume the bull bar for that model will be quite fine, with a bit of modification of course.

I wouldn't quite go that far.

The dimensions are at the widest point. On my 80 the width at the headlamps must be less than the widest point, but the truck has quite a square profile on plan view.

Whereas, I think the 90 tapers in more to the headlamps. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't want you to spend good money on an 80 bar to find that it looks like some apocalyptic Mad Max machine like some of the Utes down under.

That's why 90 bars are narrower IMO, to suit the truck better, not necessarily because the 90 is narrower at its widest point.

JMO

If I may add, I also think the profile will be different. The 90s headlamps are angled, whereas the 80s are almost flat. An 80 profile bar is likely to be much flatter than a 90 series. I think you should take great care here, before you waste your money on something that's going to look quite odd. Also, many 80 bars have a horizontal rail below the headlamp.

It's likely that this will strike a line right across your 90 headlamps. I think Shayne made a reference to this back up the thread. See...

image.jpeg

The 90 headlamps are deeper and the bullbar is likely to cast a big shadow.

Last edited:
Got to agree with you there Clive don't think it will be right for the headlamps or indicators.

Got to agree with you there Clive don't think it will be right for the headlamps or indicators.

Just wanted the OP to realize that they are designed to fit the vehicle, not just the chassis mounts. They would quite easy to mod, but the shape of the bar is something else and close to impossible to modify well.

Last edited:
Couple of other things to think about:
-If the 90 has airbags, then it must have an airbag compatible bar fitted, designed for that model; that will probably explain part of the price difference between the 80 and 90 series bars. See here for the NSW interpretation of the rules, but check the ADR number against when it came into effect - if it was after your build date then it's not an issue.
-The body width may be close, but the chassis rails will probably be different in terms of width, holes and drop -for example, my 4Runner (IFS HiLux) has a different width chassis to the live axle HiLux (that means I needed a few washers to space things out) and the underside of the chassis rail is at a different height to that on an IFS chassis.

Hope that helps a bit,

Ed

Thanks Ian, have that on my watch list and now considering whether its a scam or not due to the same number plate and vehicle. Might pass that one up for now considering these things.

All those who have replied have helped dramatically and I will be looking into other options (90 series models only now).

I have the following on my eBay watch items and think this would be a great buy. Please let me know what you think.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-P...L-BAR-WITH-ADR-CERTIFIED-LABEL-/111901104537?

Which side of the Continent are you?

Keep an eye on the wreckers as well as they sometimes have Prado's in for dismantling - AllFourx4 in Kotara didn't have one listed at the moment, but keep an eye out there.

Which side of the Continent are you?

Keep an eye on the wreckers as well as they sometimes have Prado's in for dismantling - AllFourx4 in Kotara didn't have one listed at the moment, but keep an eye out there.

Northern Victoria, Australia. Will give the local wreckers a wander through this week and see if they can give me an idea whether they can get one in or have on in stock.

Back