Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 Series Park Brake

Dino 90

Country Flag
ireland
One wheel rotates a few inches before locking up when park brake applied. Have fitted new shoes and springs.
Also adjusted shoes up.

Has anyone come across this?

Cheers

Handbrakes are a weak spot, although not one I've suffered from particularly. There are lots of threads on here about it.

So.... Options....

Cable stretched
Return springs / hooks worn
Hook retainers in disc backing plates broke (rust)
Cable rusted up in outer sheath

That's just a few off top of my head

My 90 series handbrake takes an inch or two to fully apply especially if on a slope. My car is similar though not as extreme. Both use the same drum in disc type handbrake. Like others have said the handbrake on any Land Cruiser isn't the best in the world.

I have not adjusted my 90 series' handbrake before, but I have adjusted drum brakes on a trailer which have a very similar handbrake setup. Took lots of goes to get it functional so worth persisting with it for a bit longer if you don't have any of the issues above. Seems adjusted a fraction too much means a huge amount of drag, and not too much means the handbrake is useless.

One wheel rotates a few inches before locking up when park brake applied. Have fitted new shoes and springs.
Also adjusted shoes up. Has anyone come across this?

Cheers

Have you checked to see that the bell crank arms are moving freely? Mine were chocked with mud.

Back