Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 series transfer case rebuild info required:

Danny b

Country Flag
uk
Hi,
My front output shaft bearing has some side play and the seal is weeping a little. I would like to do a complete rebuild of the transfer case at some point in the next few months so.....

I need to know a supplier for parts(rebuild kit i.e bearings and seals) for this transfer case, the transfer case model number for reference and ideally a build manual. Plus anything else I may have forgotten to ask for?

If anyone could help with part or all the info I require that would be great.

2001 Colorado 3.0l d-4d auto lwb.

Before you do that Danny, is the sideways play out of spec? I've no experience of this box but some bearings have what is known as a 'C3' fit where they are actually loose but tighten up with heat. Of course, if you have other factors going on, signs of water/rust in the oil, excessive noise or backlash from within the transfer case then a rebuild may be justified. You may simply need to replace some time hardened seals to stop the leak and all will be well. Perhaps someone else with more experience of this will confirm or deny my thoughts. A bad bearing will generally have a rumble to it as you're probably aware.

I do have a replacement seal, I wouldn't say it's noisey but I do have a slight rumble noise around 50mph, if I can find specs I will measure the side play then decide..

I am now in need of replacing bearings in the transfer box, the one I suspected would become a problem has now become a problem. Big amount of output flange sideways movement and noise/clunky banging when pulling off if not very gentle. Problem is I was planning to go away in it next weekend!!
Where can I source parts?

Back