Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

98 Prado very oily from inlet side of intercooler

Grimbo

Country Flag
great_britain
Looked at a mates very clean 90 yesterday with an unusual problem for one of these.... it wasn't getting warm !
I had fitted a new upgraded head etc a few years ago and it runs well ... turned out to be the thermostat stuck open ...new OE one fitted and problem solved .

However it is very oily down the inlet side of the engine and it's coming from the rubber pipe held on by spring clips from the intercooler to the inlet manifold .
Is this common ?

It's not smokey and pulls well so I don't think it's the turbo , the inlet / intercooler etc were all cleaned when I changed the head .

It only gets light use and is his wife's winter car so maybe just needs an Italian tune up .

1KZ-TE I assume so you got crank breather oil , egr gas and i think occasional condensation inside the intercooler all running through the air intake so yes its typically black and oily inside .

Hello Grimbo. Is this the area that the oil is showing up, at the bottom of the black pipe?
I get a bit of oil pooling up at the bottom of mine, but it's not a lot, not often, and seems only to occur when I've been doing long trips on very warm days.
I did remove the intercooler some time ago and flush out any build up of oil, so it may just be the residue still working its way out. The engine still functions extremely well, I haven't noticed any problems with the running of the car, so I haven't been overly concerned about it........... so far! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_151912.jpg
    IMG_20200806_151912.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 169
Hi Bert,
Yes exactly there.....although his is more than a bit oily...... I may get a new pipe and try that as the original is going soft from age and oil contamination and try that , otherwise it can only be coming from turbo oil seals as with the turbo inlet hose off the breather from the rocker cover looks to be oil free .

Hi, ok so I've had the same issue with mine. In my case it is a faulty turbo & cracked pipe causing the oil leak.

I've noticed something from the picture. It looks like one of the vacuum hoses is missing.

I would suggest you get the intercooler cleaned. Fingers crossed this will fix your problem.

In terms of the vacuum hose, someone had a diagram on here on how it all comes together, but I believe, you are missing the hose that connects to the intercooler.

I snapped a picture of mine the other day while doing glow plugs. A bit oily but not much.

Outside
IMG_20211212_122538.jpg

Inside
IMG_20211212_125142.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back