Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A clunk on gear change

v8jeep

Just bought a manual 3.0 d4d colorado and found that when changing gear it seems to have a delay between lifting the clutch pedal and it engaging and the throttle pedal resopnding resulting a bit of a clunk. Hope this makes sence as i cant reaily describe it any better. Anyone know what it might be ?? :think:

Lots of Colorado experts on here but what you describe sounds like drive train slap, i.e. something 'loose' or worn on the drive train that is moving a bit before the engine power is fully transmitted to the wheels. Check all your prop shafts, UJs, drive shafts etc etc and make sure they are all working properly and then look at the 'box.

A prop-shaft UJ sounds like a likely candidate.
check them with transmission in neutral
and twist the UJ by hand to check for play

Thanks for the ideas... I dont know why i never thought of that. :oops: Good idea and ill give them a check and see the outcome. My mate who is a mechanic wondered if it had a dual mass flywheel and wondered if it could be something to do with that !!! Im hoping its the uj`s or something simple :doh: Thanks..

Checked the uj`s and they are all ok. I was thinking id hear them clunk when i went on and of the throttle, but its quiet when i do that. :think: Any one got any other ideas :?:
Do they have a dual mass flywheel on them ?? :shifty:

:thumbdown: Anyone about !! Im sure someone somewhere will know about my problem or know someone who has had similar problem. Its doing my nut in. Ive had the car a week and cant get exited about it as its a pain in the ass every gear change :oops: :sick:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
any joy with your clunking , ive just bought one too and mine clunks a bit if im not gentle with the clutch

well i have bought a kdj95 last summer and it had same clunk from day one , changed all rubbers under the car , lBJ + all new shock absorbers+ all uni and new clutch and problem still there .... strange thing is when switch to LL or LH problem disappear .... anyone have any ideas ???

I think @Shayne may have got to the bottom of this one. IIRC it ended up being the front diff but Best let Shayne tell.

No i've changed everything ending up with a 7 grand car that i can't sell for near that and i really should sell it because i don't have room for 3 cruisers , but i'm pretty sure the shunt is caused by a stretched chain in the transfer box .

I have a spare chain but no will to swap it though i suppose it will have to be done one day just to sell the truck .

On happy note its not something that needs to be fixed as the chain is very unlikely to ever fail so if you can live with the shunt call it character and forget about it .

Hi ,

thank you for your replay .

The fact that when my LC kdj95 2002 with d4d has been switched to LL or LH and problem disappear will that also navigate to potential chain in transfer case failure ?

Anyone know what parts are needed to have transfer case chain replace and transfer case rebuild ?

Do the 2002 d4d supposed to have DMF ?

Mines an LC 2001 1kd90 but this is a problem often reported but never truly solved throughout the 90 series range as the all share the same box so the transfer box is still prime suspect , what i think is happening is more power goes to the front wheels than the back so when the clutch is applied the chain goes slack then yanks tight again when the clutch is released . So when you lock the centre diff in LL or LH front and back wheels get the same amount of power indeed they can only turn at the same speed and so the chain doesn't get slack yanked out of it .

Its rare enough that a box from the scrapyard has a good chance of being without the problem but if you want a fully recondition like new transfer box then Bob Murphy is your man and now he's been mentioned he will see this next time he logs in .

My suspicion is some suffered owners sometime in the past that wrongly believed LL and HL were for towing , but i guess we will never know .

I think theres a video on here somewhere showing someone shortening the chain presumably to cure the same problem https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/excessive-play-in-transfer-box-kzj90.143198/

Hi thank you for your replay.
I had a look on amayama and a brand new chain is only £200+ delivery .... so not that expensive ...

Would be nice to hear the expert advice once he log in .

Along with the chain what else would you think it needs changing in case to sort out transfer box ?

No i've changed everything ending up with a 7 grand car that i can't sell for near that and i really should sell it because i don't have room for 3 cruisers , but i'm pretty sure the shunt is caused by a stretched chain in the transfer box .

I have a spare chain but no will to swap it though i suppose it will have to be done one day just to sell the truck .

On happy note its not something that needs to be fixed as the chain is very unlikely to ever fail so if you can live with the shunt call it character and forget about it .
Hi @Shayne i wondered if you could give a quick rundown of the parts list you changed out? I’ve started by greasing the UJs but it hasn’t made a noticeable difference. Thank you in advance

Not all relating to my search for the source but all new bushes , suspension , front wheel bearings , steering rack , brakes , front diff was swapped though i put the original back in .

When i bought the truck i was handed receipts for a new clutch just fitted which fits with all the other references to this problem i could find on the internet . Its the transfer box in mine of that i'm sure .

Fair enough. I’ve done all bushes and all shocks and springs.

Ever drop the drive shaft and do the UJs? I’m convinced it’s the drive train as I’m convinced I can hear the noise slapping off the back and the front...

UJ's were replaced as well but removing a propshaft making the truck 2 wheel drive did if i remember correctly stop the thump . Can't remember if i made it front or back wheel drive though , it was years ago .

There is a video on here somewhere of a guy simply removing a couple of links from the transfer box serpentine chain , I posted it up when i found it on maybe a Russian website ?

Thats the fix i was keen to try but never got around to it .

Cool. I’m not super familiar with the kzj9x. I’ve got a kzj78 and it’s 2wd until you engage the 4WD and lock the hubs.

The clunk is in 2wd so I’m minded to focus in the rear prop shaft items.

Worried it might be a rear axle problem but I’ve no idea what to worry about! Might start with the UJs, start small and build up.

Back