Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A couple of stupid questions??

cbv8

Country Flag
england
Hi All,
After rooting around my engine bay today i noticed two water pipes disconnected i presume these are for the rear heater unit is this a common thing to do on this motor also there is a valve/tap thingy next to the fuel filter anyone know what this is? it smells of Veggie/bio fuel so i guess this has been run on the stuff before my ownership? Also the cambelt change was done over 60k miles ago ie back in 2005 i have no cambelt light on yet so in your opinions should i change it asap or wait for the light to come on?? as always any info very much appreciated :bow-yellow:

20170507_110151.jpg 20170507_110549.jpg

Neither of those things are on my 1kz truck but my 1kd has both . I believe the thing next to your fuel filter is the idle up actuator and disconnecting the rear heater is usually done rather than fixing a coolant leak in the heater system .

At 40k i'm wondering if i should change my belt , not sure where i got the service interval from Roughtrax possibly because they have a page dedicated to oils and service intervals i will have a look through my Max Ellery manual later today .

Hi Shayne thanks for that its the white plastic thingy i am referring to are we talking the same thing?:think:

Ah no , i was talking about the metal module next to the filter - the idle up . I think the white bleed thing is a water trap , there are also wires running to the bottom filter plug so again i guess if water should collect in the pipe the sensor will register a fault .

Guesswork , its been ignored in all the time i've had my truck and basically the whole set up has been labelled an effing nuisance when it comes to changing the filter .

As far as I know 60k is the recommended mileage for a change, so I wouldn't risk it, the warning light may have blown I would get the belt changed not worth the risk.

I'm with Chas (Chas cbv8) so I would change it, then you can sleep easy.

You may find that the warning light will come on after 20 or so k, if it's done 60k, so keep a separate mileage record at the time of changing it. I don't know if re-setting it can be done before the interval, it would make sense, for those that change it early.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm with Chas (Chas cbv8) so I would change it, then you can sleep easy.

You may find that the warning light will come on after 20 or so k, if it's done 60k, so keep a separate mileage record at the time of changing it. I don't know if re-setting it can be done before the interval, it would make sense, for those that change it early.
(Chas cbv8) . . ?

Warning light is 100,000 km I believe. (62137 miles).
There is also a time interval for the cam belt. Normally this is 5 years, don't know the specifics for your model tho.

Thanks all i'm not taking any chances i have just ordered a filter kit/cambelt kit/fanbelt kit from Roughtrax so will get stuck in as soon as the bits arrive :dance:please don't tell me i could have ordered cheaper better quality from another source :icon-confused:

Ok sorry about this but here is another unidentified thing i found under the car can anyone please tell me what this please thanks in advance :bow-yellow:

20170506_190144.jpg

I have no idea what that is , might it relate to the rear heater ?

Looks almost like a breather pipe, is this the rear axle diff in the photo?

You'll have to ask the NSA about that one.

It's advisable to always go for genuine Toyota on critical parts. Most folks will change the idler at the same time. Some will change the water pump as well just to be on the safe side. It's always worth sticking with genuine replacement parts as they are what make these trucks so reliable.

Amayama.com do genuine Toyota parts for far better prices if you don't mind the 10 or so day wait.

Back