Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A creak from the front end.

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
For the past few days there has been a creak / clunk from the front end of my truck. It is most noticeable when making a u-turn and mounting the curb but also happens when wheels are straight. Going over any sort or irregularity in the road often, but not always, induces it. Can't say I've noticed it at speed, only slow driving.

Would / could it be the ARB bushes which need replacing? Drop links? How do you tell? Jack it up and check for play? One might say that it feels a big vague at 80mph. Not like it used to.

Truck has just over 100k on the clock.

Could be lots of things Crispin, really. I think that elimination is the key. If you can get someone to stand at the side of the car whilst you rid up a kerb perhaps, they might be able to pinpoint it better. Very hard when inside the cabin.

ARB bushes on the drop links are pretty easy, just see if any of the washers spin round. But they usually jingle when loose, not thunk. The stirrup bushes might be worn, that's an inspection thing. But there are lots of other bushes in the old suspenders there that can clunk. Checking by hand is not really practicable. Sometimes there may only be a small movement and that takes the weight of the truck to make it happen. The number of components is limited, so identifying all of them first might help and then check them off.

Or drive slower and don't mount kerbs. Or turn the radio up until something breaks.

Chris

Or don't get lost so you have to make U-turns.
Similar for me were ARB bushes, wheel bearing.

Cheers

Thanks, I'll see if I can pinpoint it over the weekend.

Sorry Crispin cant help... unless you want to borrow a small child to tape up underneath and point at what clonks? They're pretty game and clean up easy enough.

Had an odd occasional clonk I thought was coming from the front for a while on my last LC - but it turned out to be throwing its voice from somewhere underneath eventually. Trixy little LC. What exactly it was is still a mystery as Mr T, after identifying where it was actually coming from, decided they couldn't identify the problem. As Chris suggested, I found it was less noticeable with the stereo up - and went away almost completely when I sold it!

Sorry I couldn't be of more... or indeed any assistance - but I'll be keen to learn what it turns out to be. Here's hoping for a rogue bunny with a little hammer you can just chase away!

P.S ... At the risk of sounding patronising and in the interest of the guys here... maybe vague + clonky = not 80mph :whistle:

Hi Crispin,

Are you sure you have a Land Cruiser?

Seriously.

There is no one I know, who has had more faults than you and yours.

I am beginning to think you have a LR in disguise.

Gra,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
- and went away almost completely when I sold it!

That's one of the funniest lines I have heard for a while :laughing-rolling:

Chris

Back