Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A little excitement this morning.

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
As I live on the coast it is the obvious place to take 'Cookie' my little dog for a walk, so each morning about 06.30 we follow a campo trail down to the beach, as she chases rabbits I am having a whinge to myself about my painful foot but we both need the exercise.

On the beach I normally sit on a land marker and watch the sun come up, today was no different when I noticed what looked like someone in the sea, the only reason they caught my eye was they were waving a torch, I looked around me and there no one else about, I carry a torch and waved back. The light being flashed and waved was definitely being shone in my direction, I am now having an internal brain decision fight, is it someone sodding about or a genuine emergency, I have been to this beach hundreds of times, there are no marker buoys here so it must be a person, do I ignore and read in tomorrow's paper's of a body being washed up, or call 112?

Scuba divers do use this beach but I can see no obvious kit or vehicles about, I am into scuba and went for the latter. 112 gets you through to the multilingual emergency services, in less than 10 minutes, a police car blue lights flashing arrived with two officers, and as it did the person along with the light disappeared! I felt a right dick pointing to nothing in the middle of the sea, all of a sudden one of the officers said he could see something, sure enough the person was was back and still waving, he grabs his radio and rattles off something like he can see a person in the water.

My phone rings and it is the coastal rescue telling me in perfect English they are about to dispatch a rescue crew to the area, this quiet little cove is now being illuminated by no less than 5 local police cars, a Gaurdia Civil 4x4, and an emergency response ambulance! There are officials everywhere, some climbing rocks to get a better view, powerful hand held torches being pointed at the person as they are drifting from right to left when the person disappeared again!

Eventually the person comes back into view but now no longer with a light, and is being carried along with the current at some rate, binoculars are being trained on the person, and just before the helicopter is dispatched the person was identified as a fishing buoy!!

Yep, I am so glad I did not say it was a person but 'looked' like a person in trouble, and the fact the officers also saw the 'person' made me feel a little more relieved it was a false alarm, and genuinely relieved that someone was not drowning.

The final explanation was it was a professional fishing buoy that was supposed to be anchored at some considerable distance out at sea to indicate the presence of fishing nets, it had somehow broken free of it's anchor perhaps during the recent storms, and drifted towards the shore. The 'waving arm' was in fact a metre tall mast with a light, the light goes on or off depending on ambient light, a vessel was sent out to retrieve it due to it being a navigation hazard.

The real thing that struck me though was the response from the emergency services in our little town, you rarely see them but it was good to know they are there and really on the ball, a pat on the back all round.

I made my apologies but was reassured they were happy to find out it was a false alarm, and there was agreement they would have done the same, as the object really did look like the head and shoulders of a person.

So that's my good deed for the day........well sort of.

Regards

Dave

As I live on the coast it is the obvious place to take 'Cookie' my little dog for a walk, so each morning about 06.30 we follow a campo trail down to the beach, as she chases rabbits I am having a whinge to myself about my painful foot but we both need the exercise.

On the beach I normally sit on a land marker and watch the sun come up, today was no different when I noticed what looked like someone in the sea, the only reason they caught my eye was they were waving a torch, I looked around me and there no one else about, I carry a torch and waved back. The light being flashed and waved was definitely being shone in my direction, I am now having an internal brain decision fight, is it someone sodding about or a genuine emergency, I have been to this beach hundreds of times, there are no marker buoys here so it must be a person, do I ignore and read in tomorrow's paper's of a body being washed up, or call 112?

Scuba divers do use this beach but I can see no obvious kit or vehicles about, I am into scuba and went for the latter. 112 gets you through to the multilingual emergency services, in less than 10 minutes, a police car blue lights flashing arrived with two officers, and as it did the person along with the light disappeared! I felt a right dick pointing to nothing in the middle of the sea, all of a sudden one of the officers said he could see something, sure enough the person was was back and still waving, he grabs his radio and rattles off something like he can see a person in the water.

My phone rings and it is the coastal rescue telling me in perfect English they are about to dispatch a rescue crew to the area, this quiet little cove is now being illuminated by no less than 5 local police cars, a Gaurdia Civil 4x4, and an emergency response ambulance! There are officials everywhere, some climbing rocks to get a better view, powerful hand held torches being pointed at the person as they are drifting from right to left when the person disappeared again!

Eventually the person comes back into view but now no longer with a light, and is being carried along with the current at some rate, binoculars are being trained on the person, and just before the helicopter is dispatched the person was identified as a fishing buoy!!

Yep, I am so glad I did not say it was a person but 'looked' like a person in trouble, and the fact the officers also saw the 'person' made me feel a little more relieved it was a false alarm, and genuinely relieved that someone was not drowning.

The final explanation was it was a professional fishing buoy that was supposed to be anchored at some considerable distance out at sea to indicate the presence of fishing nets, it had somehow broken free of it's anchor perhaps during the recent storms, and drifted towards the shore. The 'waving arm' was in fact a metre tall mast with a light, the light goes on or off depending on ambient light, a vessel was sent out to retrieve it due to it being a navigation hazard.

The real thing that struck me though was the response from the emergency services in our little town, you rarely see them but it was good to know they are there and really on the ball, a pat on the back all round.

I made my apologies but was reassured they were happy to find out it was a false alarm, and there was agreement they would have done the same, as the object really did look like the head and shoulders of a person.

So that's my good deed for the day........well sort of.

Regards

Dave

Good story Dave!

I dont think any emergency service can complain about “genuine” false alarms, as you say, better than reading about a drowning the next day...

The “shall I - shan’t I” bit must have been the worst part...

Well done anyway :thumbup:

Fair play to you, a lot of people would just walk off, and plenty of other people there thought it was a person as well

A few years ago I was going to bed very late in the early hours when I saw a light in a neighbours window opposite, not a room light, it was obviously a torch moving about, thinking Oh my God she's got a burglar in there I dialled 999 and reported it, well it couldn't have been more than 10 mins later when a patrol car and a white van pulled up quietly, no blues and two's, they came and checked with me then sent a couple of burly officers round the back of the house then knocked on her front door which was eventually opened by the old girl who lived there, apparently she had got up to have a pee and used a torch instead of putting on a light. The police were very pleased to be called, I expect they were probably having a cuppa and thought come on lads, a bit of excitement on our shift

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good story Dave!

I dont think any emergency service can complain about “genuine” false alarms, as you say, better than reading about a drowning the next day...

The “shall I - shan’t I” bit must have been the worst part...

Well done anyway :thumbup:

Your right Clive, there is that gut feeling about 'making a fuss about nowt', anyway all turned out good, I will be there tomorrow morning as vigilant as ever. :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave

Good one and clearly the right call to make.

Chas, did you ever tell the ol’ lady who called the Rozzers on her, or did you think ‘shall I or shan’t I’? :lol:

Good one and clearly the right call to make.

Chas, did you ever tell the ol’ lady who called the Rozzers on her, or did you think ‘shall I or shan’t I’? :lol:
No I never mentioned it, I never actually got to speak to her, and no I didn't think twice about calling the police, I knew she lived alone and could be in danger if it was a burglar.

No I never mentioned it, I never actually got to speak to her, and no I didn't think twice about calling the police, I knew she lived alone and could be in danger if it was a burglar.
I meant shall I or shan’t I tell her Chas. :lol:

It conjured up an image that included you, her and a very accurately aimed walking stick. :lol:

Fair play, good on you for doing it.

Back home in Cornwall we often have holidaymakers drifting out to sea and getting into trouble.

I remember one time a guy drifted a couple of miles out, was reported missing and was finally spotted by the coastguard, who sent a chopper out to collect him. They punctured his inflatable dinghy so it could be removed and wouldn't be left there floating around and being rereported as someone who needed help.

A couple of weeks later the coastguard received an invoice for £13 for it from the guy.

They sent him one back for the £53,000 it had cost them to locate and rescue him. He didn't chase his up.

Owen

There’s absolutely no problem at all about anyone calling the emergency services if they think it’s a genuine emergency, it’s what they want you to do. The number of stupid calls they receive from complete d*******s is ridiculous. People were actually calling the police when KFC restaurants ran out of chicken recently! :angry-screaming: They should be arrested and charged.

Bloody typical! I went down the beach the following morning and there was a guy about to push his small boat out to do some fishing, shame he was not there the day before.

Anyway, thanks for the positive comments all.

Regards

Dave

Moons ago when I was about 17, I was a spectator at a swimming gala. It was not a big event, it was a Scout do, and the Cub-Scouts were going first. After a couple of races, there was a 2 length dash and these little cubs looked like they could barely swim.

They all dived in and started thrashing, and the little guy on the near side looked like he was swallowing more than he was pushing past him. I kept my eye on him and suddenly he’d gone. I was in the front row and shouted to one of the lifeguard “walkers” patrolling the poolside. He couldn’t hear me over all the screaming and shouting (it was a race after all) and he couldn’t see over the edge of the poolside, well not as well as I could from my higher vantage point.

So I kicked off my trainers and hopped over the barrier, slipping into the water head first right by the edge. The poor little sod was lying on the bottom on his back with his eyes open, but unconscious.

Oiked him out and gave him a few pumps of compressions, and he chucked it all out and started to come round. He was coughing beautifully in the recovery position by the time the guard realised what was happening.

I shouted to him to take care of secondary... he said what’s that? I don’t know why he was there TBH, but anyway I insisted on them getting an ambulance, which came, and the medics reassured me that I’d done the right thing, because I started to think I’d made too much fuss.

Not much of the hero type me but, I did dive in the the River Crouch when I was about 14....ish, and dragged one of my sister's to safety who had fallen in.

We still call her the milkmans daughter as she was the only one of a family of seven with blonde hair, all the rest dark so the usual blonde jokes and so forth. She married a plastic surgeon and lives in a custom built house with all the extras in Cyprus, no dumb blonde that's for sure. :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave

Moons ago when I was about 17, I was a spectator at a swimming gala. It was not a big event, it was a Scout do, and the Cub-Scouts were going first. After a couple of races, there was a 2 length dash and these little cubs looked like they could barely swim.

They all dived in and started thrashing, and the little guy on the near side looked like he was swallowing more than he was pushing past him. I kept my eye on him and suddenly he’d gone. I was in the front row and shouted to one of the lifeguard “walkers” patrolling the poolside. He couldn’t hear me over all the screaming and shouting (it was a race after all) and he couldn’t see over the edge of the poolside, well not as well as I could from my higher vantage point.

So I kicked off my trainers and hopped over the barrier, slipping into the water head first right by the edge. The poor little sod was lying on the bottom on his back with his eyes open, but unconscious.

Oiked him out and gave him a few pumps of compressions, and he chucked it all out and started to come round. He was coughing beautifully in the recovery position by the time the guard realised what was happening.

I shouted to him to take care of secondary... he said what’s that? I don’t know why he was there TBH, but anyway I insisted on them getting an ambulance, which came, and the medics reassured me that I’d done the right thing, because I started to think I’d made too much fuss.
Top Man.

Respect.jpg

Back