Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A Rather Misadventurous Day Out 19.10.2013

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
I went for a solo drive today, just me and the truck with a view to exploring some new-to-me tracks on the mountain behind our house. I'd been studying the satellite images and comparing them with the maps, the latter showing nothing and the former clearly indicating tracks.

The problem is, with so much horse-drawn traffic here, tracks and tracks can vary a lot! Were they navigable by me in my little 80?

There's only one way to find out, so I set off up a well-known track from walking with my daughter when she's horse-riding, but instead of turning right at the point where the horse always turns right without any commands, I went straight ahead to see what would become of it. Well several kilometers of not much to report is the answer, until the track ended.

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

Where the stream crossed was narrow, but I had a look and it was wide enough and the track would take me up onto the open mountain, or so I hoped from the satellite images.

IMG_3130.jpg

So across the stream I went and up the steep gully (View back from the top)

IMG_1609.jpg

and off to the left, making my way up. This track was rough going to say the least!

Looking back down the track towards the stream crossing,which is on the right of this picture. The stream on the left is another one!
IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

Up we went, looking for open space with no stream “Vs” to get stuck in, avoiding bushes and brush. I wanted to get over to the right at this point.
IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

Now, at this stage, I ended up going round in circles, not finding a suitable way on to the top of the hill and eventually I was faced with a sheer drop or to turn around. Preferring the latter, I decided to go back the way I had come.

That was no problem till I got to the stream crossing. As I went hrough the water I was conscious of having to keep to the right. The stream flowed from right to left and the drop off the left edge of the track was about half a meter and then it sloped downwards at about 45 degrees or so.

Didn’t want to put my back left wheel down there did I !!

On the exit of the stream, I steered to the left as I had to, and as the right front wheel climbed the right hand bank a little, the back of the car slid to the left… a lot in fact, AGGGGH too much!

I stopped and jumped out of the truck, sh!t, the back left wheel had slid off the track (onto the 45 degree slope half a meter below the level of the track).

There’s no photos of this bit. My stomach was in my throat and I’ve never seen the truck at such an angle… and I’ve put it to some tests I must say.

To really complicate matters, the edge of the track under the rocks and soil, was made from tree trunks and 2 of them had been broken in the middle years ago and their ends were poking up. One of them, the front face of my rear tyre had rested against (above axle level) and the other was aiming at my fuel tank.

“OK stay calm” I said to myself, got the HiLift out and got the back wheel up to the level of the tree trunk. OK fuel tank danger over, wheel at the same level as the tree trunk, all I have to do now is drive forwards out of trouble.

The only problem was how, still jacked up on a HiLift!

Ah, thinks me, replace the HiLift with some rocks under the tyre.

Can you imagine how long it takes and how many rocks you need to build a support for a 3 tonne truck half a meter deep and on a slope of 45 friggin degrees? I didn’t count the rocks but it took me 2 hours!

Scared of it slipping sideways again, I tied the only rope I had to a piece of sturdy angle iron which was part of an old buried grating someone had installed years ago. Sadly the only rope I had was a brand new unused snatch rope… I didn’t have my proper rescue kit with me, sh!t again, no snatch-blocks, so the front winch was useless to set up any sort of angled pull. What an idiot I was not to throw my kit in the truck before I set off!

OK, best of a bad deal, I tied off to the RHS chassis and then I let the HiLift down very carefully and stowed it away. I jumped in to drive it forward, mm by mm to save dislodging the stones and rocks I’d built up.

After stopping and slackening the now tight rope (a little) I inched further forwards. Eventually I had to let the rope lose altogether, but how? Of course, the lock knot I’d used was welded, the only way out was to cut it!

That done, and the truck still stable by some miracle, I drove off with only the clunk of the tree trunk as it slid off the underside of the back axle. As the rear wheel left the pile of rocks, they all tumbled away, but the 3 good wheels pulled me out as the LHS rear slid down again.

What a relief! There’s something about being alone with everything going wrong. I took my time and thought out every move. There were no guarantees, but I was lucky in my bad luck. NEVER again will I go out without my full kit. I’d cut a perfectly good new snatch rope. It served me right for being such a fool.

Looking back I then took a couple of photos. The tree trunks are not very visible and it all looks a little tame, but at the time it was a horror story!
IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

OK, I’m free again. After a 10 km detour, another unknown track. This time it was well used, only by horses and carts, but at least used and more reliable. It took me up the other side of a deep valley and very nice too!
IMG_1620.jpg

There's snow on them thar hills! That's the mountain Sinaia in the centre distance, 2,400 m or so above sea level!

IMG_1621.jpg

No danger here, just some very muddy puddles and lovely scenery…

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

After a few slippery moments on some steep sections, I decided to return home. Then I noticed that I was low on fuel, enough to get home, but too low for comfort.

Moral of the story? Go out properly prepared with a full tank and recovery equipment. It's no use to you sitting in the shed!

I was lucky this time.

I'll make sure there's not a next time.

Last edited:
Myself and Crispin learnt our lesson a few years ago and we were very lucky indeed that a few club members traveled a long way to help us. Have been very careful since then...
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/41394-Last-night-Epic-rescue

That was quick Tony!

I remember "Epic Rescue" very well, it's the first story I read on this forum after I joined.

I can't believe how stupid I was going out as unprepared as I was. Serves me right for tidying up the back of the car! My missus was having a go!

Anyway, home safe!

Cheers

It must be just fantastic to be able to go out and explore without all the access crap we have here, deeply jealous!!
Awesome scenery as well.

Yep...

I came to Romania in 2001 for 15 months, why do you think I didn't go "home"?

With a passion for mountain biking too, it didn't take much thinking about to be honest!

That was quick Tony!

LOL, just happened to open the forum after putting kiddies to bed... Glad you home and safe, nothing worse than that sinking feeling when it starts to go wrong.

On a positive note, that's some wonderful scenery you have there :icon-cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:shock: I'm glad you got back home safe and sound Clive, I had a lucky break at Lincomb after which I never ever go off-road on my own, but with that kind of countryside on your doorstep I can see how tempting it must be, roll on 2015. :dance:

Sure is!

Actually, apart from the mess I got into, it was a fantastic day. Sunny, warm (after quite a cold 2 degree C start) and dry. Goodness knows what a mess I'd have got into if it had been wet and cold!

I'm a lucky guy for sure, and thankful for it!

:shock: I'm glad you got back home safe and sound Clive, I had a lucky break at Lincomb after which I never ever go off-road on my own, but with that kind of countryside on your doorstep I can see how tempting it must be, roll on 2015. :dance:

Didn't see your post there Chas, it must have sneaked in while I wasn't looking!

Yep, I guess that's when you slipped and fell badly?

It was like a nightmare today, everything going wrong one after the other. I'd worked most of the morning and the missus wanted to go shopping, so I felt I should do something with a beautiful day. Nobody wanted to go out for some reason, so off I went.

I have to brush up on some tracks to entertain you guys when you come! I'm really excited about this and it's ages yet!

Can't wait to meet you all. Always gutted that I can't get to Lincomb, it sounds (and looks) a blast. I read every post twice a year, it's like I've been there!

Cheers! :icon-biggrin:

Didn't see your post there Chas, it must have sneaked in while I wasn't looking!

Yep, I guess that's when you slipped and fell badly?

It was like a nightmare today, everything going wrong one after the other. I'd worked most of the morning and the missus wanted to go shopping, so I felt I should do something with a beautiful day. Nobody wanted to go out for some reason, so off I went.

I have to brush up on some tracks to entertain you guys when you come! I'm really excited about this and it's ages yet!

Can't wait to meet you all. Always gutted that I can't get to Lincomb, it sounds (and looks) a blast. I read every post twice a year, it's like I've been there!

Cheers! :icon-biggrin:

Your post and mine have the same submit time.

Yes that Lincomb faux pas was when I fell while on my own. We want you there when we come so take care exploring. You can be at Lincomb in spirit if not in body

look forward to the trip myself but glad u got out ok.
Got full kit in the back of the truck all the time just in case
so we should have some fun

Last edited:
That looked like an adventure. Lucky you had thr hilift. Glad all ended well, very jealous that you have local tracks like that and no access issues

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

That was lucky!! Great pics though.
My gear lives in the boot all the time, had mates say I carry too much but it all come I'm handy many times.

Lucky escape Clive. What are the access rights like in Romania? Can you pretty much drive any track unless it is signed as forbidden?

Glad you got out safely!! It would have been a big tragic to have rolled her after all that effort with the wrap etc!!

Sounds like a right adventure though!:shock:

Have to say your truck looks awesome after the work, and the old, faded pre-EU number plates set it off a tee!!

Your post and mine have the same submit time.

Yes that Lincomb faux pas was when I fell while on my own. We want you there when we come so take care exploring. You can be at Lincomb in spirit if not in body

In spirit Chas, I never miss a meeting! :icon-wink:

look forward to the trip myself but glad u got out ok.
Got full kit in the back of the truck all the time just in case
so we should have some fun

So do I ratrace, usually! Trouble is, it's my DD and I don't have any storage boxes built in. But, I've just acquired a couple of large plastic tool boxes, one is now full of the usual tool stuff, the other has my airline and trigger gauge, plus the winch remote and (normally two towing ropes). A third box has my snatch rope in it, bit it's too small for the snatch strap, tree protector and snatch block, which live in a separate bag along with the ground anchor and snow chains. All that was usefully at home in the shed. Oh, and the two towing ropes (good ones, not the cheap is you see in the fuel station) are on loan at the moment to someone.

So, I was naked! :oops:

That looked like an adventure. Lucky you had thr hilift. Glad all ended well, very jealous that you have local tracks like that and no access issues

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

So far so good on access issues. There's no rules, well none that are broadcast or policed. The mountains are a sort of common land, where locals graze their animals. They cut and harvest the grass for winter hay, so everyone has access. The tracks have evolved over time. I suppose all roads, even in Britain, started life as the shortest route to walk or horse ride, from A to B. Over time they became tracks and the popular/most common routes became roads.

So, on the mountain are tracks, some are no wider than sheep tracks, good for walking and biking. Others are wider where horse and carts have carved them out. The problem is, a cart is about 1m narrower than my 80, so if they have cut into the hillside with use and wash-out, they're bl00dy tight for anything bigger!

Many times on a new to me track, I get where I just can't go any further! The wider tracks are those where cattle are trafficked or the local "foresters" have dragged wood down for winter burning.

Forest roads a generally accessible, but at times they're gated.

The other routes that have become prohibited are those to the top of the mountain in tourist areas. There's no motor vehicles signs going up with a 2000 € fine! but I've never seen anyone prosecuted. I normally ignore them! Quads have spoilt it for many, because they arse around on them more often than not, carving donuts and generally tearing up the mountain. I'm usually most careful not to do damage, especially on the grass.

Back