Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A single mains battery charger that can run on 110 and 240 volts?

Bmonck

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Hi all
I am building out the internal electric circuitry for running the freezer/lights/pumps etc and am now looking at how I charge the aux battery when I am parked up for up to a week.
Basically there are two potential sources of power when parked - solar panel (which I have sorted) or when in a campsite there is shore power (ie plugged into the mains).
When I am on shore power/ mains I want to run a battery charger that will keep the aux battery fully charged.
But I want a single mains battery charger that can run on anything from 110 volts to 240 volts AC power. I have found plenty of charger that run on 100 OR 240 but can’t find one that can run on both.
Does anyone have any experience or good ideas on this?
many thanks

What is your shore power hook up going to actually power? Is everything internally 12v and you only need to run a charger? Or will you also have internals that are mains powered? Asking as it might change the set up - battery chargers are cheap enough and you could always have a 110 hook up point and also a 240 hook up point. Alternatively you can get some really inexpensive power supplies that run anywhere from 110-240 and output say 24v, these can be fed into a cheap solar charger unit which can then be attached to the battery bank.

There’s many different arrangements but it would depend, in my opinion, on the set up you have. Hope I’ve given a bit of food for thought.

Hi Dave
Yes everything internally is only 12 volt by design. So no toasters and kettles and hair dryers! The fridge freezer could be plugged into the mains (in fact will automatically switch to AC if it senses the mains power) but I thought best to keep it super simple. So fridge is only wired to aux. & Hence my idea fo have the mains power go only via the battery charger to the aux battery.
Btw The solar panel and alternator go via a Redarc bcdc charger to the aux battery.

I do find the smarter they are the more frustrating they can be, most smart ones need some charge in the battery to start up. If you've flattened the battery it'll not detect it and won't charge.

Sure if it's that flat the battery is probably toast anyway but sometimes you just want to get home and deal with it there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back