Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A442 harsh shift 1-2

Jason Read

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hello, My 1992 1hdt powered 80 series has the hydraulic version of the A442. It has an intermittent harsh shift from 1st to 2nd. If I really put my foot down it shifts fine, hardly notice the shift. But at 1/3 throttle shifts through town etc the 1-2 change is very harsh. I towed a heavy trailer up a hill the other day and stopped on the way up and then floored it. No problems shifting through the gears at all, no slipping and changes felt fine. It seems to be the light load change that is harsh. If I'm really gentle ie just idle through the gears it is also good.
Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

How old is the clutch this can happen with stock clutches I found it much better buy fitting Heavy duty clutch kit.
I think yours might be getting low on clutch plate. Hope it helps.

The A442 is an auto box so it may be worth checking your throttle position cable. Try a search on here for this as there’s some info on it from @Chris and probably others too. It should pull out easily then snap back smartly and have a certain distance from the end of the tube.

I believe it would be difficult for you to find answers if looking for A442F when you are clearly talking is about an A440F...that being said, change oil and filter, sometimes something very simple does the trick

I believe it would be difficult for you to find answers if looking for A442F when you are clearly talking is about an A440F...that being said, change oil and filter, sometimes something very simple does the trick

Sorry mate but I am talking about an A442f. It says so on the vehicle id plate. Mine is an Hdj81 Japanese import version. Most of the A442f transmissions were electronic but they did make a hydraulic version for them and I've got one in my truck.

Back