Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ABENTEUER & ALLRAD Bad Kissengen (Germany) - 20th-23rd June 19

I'm planning be there with the truck as its on display....I hope !

Maybe yes, maybe know. Who knows?
Might take the Missus and go on the bikes

oooooh... I'll have a bike in the back CJ.. and somewhere for cold beers and a braai !

Cold beers yes please. That's the one thing on a bike. No fridge. I nearly passed out this year. Fortunately I had fantastic German neighbours with a limitless supply of cold brau.

I should be there, with my 2 boys, (maybe the missus also), bit too early to confirm for sure.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi I would love to wot is the cost and its a long way in a fj45 .

Getting in and camping is cheap. It's the Chunnel that's quite pricey. Getting there can be done in a day if you've something that can really shift. If you landed at breakfast time and gunned it on a big bike for example or a decent car and shared the driving, you could do it. But remember it's supposed to be a holiday not a race. Plan for a day and a half there and same back. We do one day at the show, because it's all that it's worth, giving you an evening before, day at the show, 1 full day mooching, stay the evening, then leave in the morning, cross the day after and home.
If you've nothing but time then take two weeks off and fit the whole thing in as you pass through.

Current wife can't come as it's term time. Looks like a solo effort. Leaning toward getting the 80 out of storage though. It's easier to pull over for a snooze in a truck than on bike plus there's all the benefits of a fridge, awning, air con etc. I love camping and I wasn't uncomfortable last year but it's better doing one night stops then moving on (with the bike) than it is setting up camp for a few days I find. There's a limit to what you can carry and when you're on the move you can pick up things like cold milk and beers just before you stop for the evening.
But then the bike will do twice the speed of the Cruiser and cost half as much.

HI

Its in my diary, hoping to make it, with a couple of friends. I wont know for sure till nearer the time.

I appreciate it if I could get some thoughts on camping. I don't think you can book. Has others used it, if so did you have any issues turning up and finding a spot? Is it advisable to turn up a day early.

Thanks

Gary

No you can't book and frankly getting someone to reserve you a spot for you is becoming increasingly hard. You can turn up pretty much any time on a bike and squeeze in if you're not fussy. If you come in an ex Soviet missile launcher you've not a chance unless you're there sometime in April. In a single vehicle, you'll probably be ok but if you want to camp as a group, the earlier the better.

The camping requirements are absolutely huge and I've seen people in McDonald's car park, sides of the road and even parked in the entrance road.

Last year, people started spilling out into other fields and they notices went up. "This field is not a camp ground. You are not welcome. Go away. You are not allowed to park on here"

Oddly, it filled up and then emptied a good bit and then filled up again. It was like a sort of weekend tide. There's always people moving and if you're agile you can always shift your set up when a space opens up. I camped by a hedge so that at least no one could be behind me. It's nice to have at least one border. Ooh topical humour there.

Just saying, great I'll see you there; we'll BBQ tonight is not going to happen. We got there on the Weds last year around lunchtime and there was an entire field empty. By beer O'clock you couldn't move. There are some cocks there it's true and I was surprised at how some of the Germans didn't give a toss about other people playing thumping music and shouting well into the night. But largely it's very good humoured. Just don't ask the lad on the gate if there's somewhere nice and quite he could recommend.

Buy a show ticket in advance if you're going. It saves queuing. Yes the blurb says that camping is only available from something like the Weds but that just subterfuge to put people off. There's people there way before that.

Food is limited but good. There's an Aldi next door and decent showers and toilets. (generally)

Take some waffle boards as it's not all level ground that's for sure.

Just looking - wow, that is pretty cheap (well, compared to the UK AO show at any rate!). Term time is a PITA though unless I can get a pass to go without the rest of the tribe...

Oh trust me Dave, she knows. She knows and that's how she remains as the current wife and not the previous one. :clap:

Went last year and well worth going. IF going again I'd spend more time going around meeting folks in their trucks at the camp ground - some interesting rigs/options and stories

Maybe... if the trailer arrives in time and dogs are allowed

Back