Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ABS Faults

Declan

Country Flag
ireland
Trying to fix an abs fault, I would’ve had all the sensors off, they were all cleaned etc.

First off I found I had the wrong cv joints for my model, they change in April 1994 and I had the longer later mode joints fitted. So I bought the correct shorter joints and fitted them.

I checked the codes using the paper clip in the diagnostic port and it’s showing

32: left front speed sensor malfunction.
34: left rear speed sensor malfunction.
35: open circuit in left front or right rear speed sensor circuit
36: open circuit in right front or left rear speed sensor circuit.

Has anyone any ideas where to start? Thanks

Open circuit sounds like a wiring fault - broken wire somewhere?

The diagnostics on these are not that advanced and it may only be one fault causing the others to read an error. I'd start with open circut. Pull all the plugs and give a good clean. There one ones on the sender, there are ones on the axle and at the front there is one in the inner wing against the front bulkhead low down. You can swap left to right sensors and see if the issue changes sides with a new code reading. There are also some shims on the older sensors that you can remove to get the tip closer to the ABS ring. When the magnetism escapes this is a common fix.

Got sorted lads thanks, passenger front & drivers side rear abs looms were faulty. Took the shims off the sensors too

Cleaned all my sensors today , one at the rear was rusty and had pushed the white plastic cap thing off but cleaned up ok and i glued the cap back on .

Magnet seems good and strong on all of them , so what next ?

I know of the paper clip trick but not which terminals to bridge ?

I'm also wondering if the ABS dash light might be something to do with the low range without centre diff modification which was done by a previous owner ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Declan just a moment ago i found "Tc E1 connections" so i logged in to save it here :lol:

Wracking my empty skull here and i'm betting on the front passenger side king pin bearing and thats why i had to change the CV :think:

TC and E1 paperclip just makes my cruise control and seatbelt light flash alternatively and constantly fast ???

ABS light stays on solid and unaffected ?

And i got nothing anyway , abs light goes on when i turn the ignition and off for maybe 3 seconds when i start the truck then comes on and stays on .

Trying to weigh up the possible consequences of removing rear sensors and spraying rust remover into the hole hoping to clean up the reluctor ring without dismantling .

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter ?

I have done that and the magnets are strong enough on each to lift a quarter can of contact cleaner . Plan today is to drop the bake proportional valve thingy near the back axle 5mm . No codes to read pissed me off because I don't enjoy this sort of fault finding at all , pull the warning bulb and fuse is my inclination , the truck drives and brakes better than most i reckon but bureaucracy forbids such common sense so i'd have to remove everything abs related .

Might it relate to the electrical modification done before my ownership that allows for low range without locking the centre diff is the question keeps coming to mind ?

If it does i'm flogging a dead horse and i need to work out how to undo the mod because i don't need it anyway .

It's just the plug on back of the transfer case. Plug it back in and back to auto lock in low.

Back