Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Abs isusses

Yotomotor

hi all please can someone tell me we’re the abs fuse is on my 80 series? Have issues when I nearly come to a stop, the abs seems to kick in pedal goes hard but little stopping force then suddenly goes off and nearly throws u through the wind screen just need a short term fix so if there is a abs fuse I want tonpull it.

Has anyone else had an issue like this if so what was the problem?

Thx

ABS fuse is under the bonnet. it's one of the larger ones with the plastic window on top. Typical cause is the failure of the ABS sensor. But can be other issues relating to CVs and ageing brakes. There's been lots of posting on this. There's some short term fixes and of course replacement of parts. Or removal of the entire system.

ABS fuse is under the bonnet. it's one of the larger ones with the plastic window on top. Typical cause is the failure of the ABS sensor. But can be other issues relating to CVs and ageing brakes. There's been lots of posting on this. There's some short term fixes and of course replacement of parts. Or removal of the entire system.
Thx Chris I will check and clean all the sensors first

That might help. They lose their magnetism after a bit. it's best to read the ABS fault code that you can get to flash up on the dash. It's the best way to know where you're looking. If it's a weaker signal, you can remove one of the shims on the sensor to lower it closer to the ABS ring. You might have had something go round in the hub which has caused damage too. You can't say until you've had a good look really. But the codes do cut out some of the searching.

That might help. They lose their magnetism after a bit. it's best to read the ABS fault code that you can get to flash up on the dash. It's the best way to know where you're looking. If it's a weaker signal, you can remove one of the shims on the sensor to lower it closer to the ABS ring. You might have had something go round in the hub which has caused damage too. You can't say until you've had a good look really. But the codes do cut out some of the searching.
Ok that’s sounds good how do I get the codes?

Help me someone I can't remember the post this is in. It's easy, I just can't remember the terminals to link. It's T1 and ....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oh incidentally Yoto - when you respond, there's no need to click 'quote' just click 'reply'. It helps to keep threads shorter.

Check resistance on wheel speed sensors. very easy to do at connector behind wheel. then if you can , jack truck up and measure voltage at same point with wheels@20kmh. I think you are looking for 1.7kohm and 5v.

If the Ohm reading checks out but voltage is low/high then add/remove shim to abs mounting plate.

Also make sure your alternator is out putting correct voltage to abs ecu.

Check wheel bearing has no play.

Bleed system and change fluid if not been changed in 5years+

forgot to add turn on cdl and brake hard looking for any pulling or juddering of the brakes on road surface in straight=line test.

Also clean all harnesses and connectors on abs system.

Yes it's not unusual for issues with ABS not to be linked to a fault with the ABS itself. Such as a loose wheel bearing.

Check resistance on wheel speed sensors. very easy to do at connector behind wheel. then if you can , jack truck up and measure voltage at same point with wheels@20kmh. I think you are looking for 1.7kohm and 5v.

If the Ohm reading checks out but voltage is low/high then add/remove shim to abs mounting plate.

Also make sure your alternator is out putting correct voltage to abs ecu.

Check wheel bearing has no play.

Bleed system and change fluid if not been changed in 5years+
That’s great I’ll check thx

I removed both abs fuses and the truck wouldn't start , no life at all ?

Which 2? The ABS utilises the main 60A fuse plus the 50A fuse marked AM1, both in the under bonnet fuse box. The AM1 fuse also powers other circuits, starting included as far as I can see, so will disable other functions if you remove it.

OK thanks i removed both the 60 and 50amp only because the mrs is driving it to work tonight and when the abs plays silly buggers its scary . I guess i should just remove the 60amp fuse to stop abs randomly kicking in on the front drivers wheel 10ft before a stop sign .

I took a torch with me the second time so i pulled the correct fuse . I haven't removed it before so it reminds me i need to check the wheel bearing . All new brakes so abs should be fine to keep once i rectify the fault .

Mine doesn't have abs and no matter how hard you bang on the brakes... I've truly never had the brakes lock up!

So it begs the question??

Why do the 80's with abs lock up?

Very simple answer... because they have the abs system which when they have a gremlin they do the exact opposite to the intended purpose!

You're much better off with out the abs system! IMHO as they're a heavy old beast and if you have big tyres and a bit over weight then you need all the braking effort to goto the hubs without the abs sponge interupting the flow when you need it most....

Delete the pos!:thumbup:

I would think to remove the front sensors and clean them before any tests. Mine were covered in metal swarf from worn king pins.

I'm with you iwan abs is great for stopping planes on the runway but good for naff all else .

Back