Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ABS light on. Where to start roubleshooting

Matt Wright

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Hi all

My ABS light is on and has been on for a while.. First thing I normally do is pull the front ABS sensors out and wipe them clean. They get full of CV grease, especialyl in "Africa" where it's hot and the CV grease melts and moves around.
I did that and the shuddering when breaking lightly stopped but the ABS light is still on

Is there a simple order of things to check? I haven't looked at the back before but I'd prefer to know what to be checking before ripping half the truck apart (which happens to me often!)

Thanks.....

Matt you really need to follow the FSM guide, jump the terminals in the diagnostics box under the bonnet and count the flashes. It will tell you what's up. You have sensors on the back as well don't forget and sometimes these take a knock. Once the magnetism has leaked out of them, you can wipe them as much as you want. It won't make a difference.

Thanks Chris, wasn't sure if doing the terminal diagnosis was the first thing to do so wanted to check. I'll do that tonight :thumbup:

I had a similar ABS issue when bought my 80.

Once you read the code and get an idea of the offending sensor you could try removing the metal shim spacer that fits under the sensor.
Got me nervous thinking the sensor tip might come into contact with the CV ABS ring but had plenty of room.

Guess this helps increase the magnetic pick up and would probably only be a short term fix.
Saying that, I removed the shim three years ago and ABS it is still happy.

Might be worth a go as ££££ for those parts, just check you still have enough clearance with the ABS tip.

Dave.

Thanks Dave
I heard that the shim is supplied for that specific reason ie that it can be removed to remove some of the space. Probably not a factory setting but hey yours is working! :)

Yeah, I was a bit nervous about removing it but the original suggestion came from Julian Voelcker at Overland Cruisers and he knows a hell of a lot more about these wagons than I will ever get near to.

I do remember he also suggested removing any rust build up you might find where the sensor seats.
All about increasing the magnetic pick up.

With the money involved, I reckon it is worth a go, just satisfy yourself that you still have no contact with the ABS tip/ABS ring.

Good luck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No, no the removal of the shim is actually in the FSM. However, the later sensors didn't have a shim. They came as a moulded plastic housing. I know, I have a brand spanking new one in a box. Bit sneaky by Mr T perhaps?

But if you were handy, you could put the swivel in the miller and take a skim off the outside to drop the tip down a couple of thou. Bit drastic.

Back