Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AC not working

Jack P

Country Flag
great_britain
Hello All,

Where abouts in the engine bay is the AC unit?

Last summer I had it re gases. Now i can't quite remember what the guy said......something about it not working and they had to giggle something and then it worked.

It worked perfectly last summer and I'm pretty sure it's been demisting windows in the winter, although it's probably not been used for a month or so.

Cheers.

I don't have a 120 Jack, but can you trace the large pipes to a cylindrical-ish object, about 6" diameter and 8" long, bolted to the side of the engine at the front and belt driven.

Last edited:
On the 90 series its on the slam panel behind the bumper . Mobile A/C guys are better than garages me thinks because they do nothing else .

Check the magnetic clutch - they seem to give trouble. You should hear it engage if there is gas in the system and you switch on the A/C. If you don't hear it, it will need replaced (assuming all other aspects are ok)

Do a search on here, there's various threads on AC, one from frank has his 'frankenstein' compressor with lots of other info.

To add to Gary's post, test across the coil of the clutch with a multimeter set to 'ohms', you can also apply a + 12v from the battery if you disconnect the plug. That should bring the clutch in. Check for a loose pulley as any increased gap can stop the clutch pulling in. The main thing is lack of gas. Once it goes below a certain level the pressure switch won't allow the compressor to start. You of course also need the fan on for AC to work. Check fuses, start with the stupid simple things. If you test across the pressure switch which is located on one of the bigger pipes, with a multimeter set to V, and get 12or so volts across it then that is what is holding it off. You then likely need more gas or at least to have the system checked. Look around for oily dusty patches at joins as these generally indicate leaks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for all the info and advice guys. I'll have a look at the weekend and see what's what.

Cheers

Back