Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Accessory connection question.....

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
If you have an accessory that is wired to connect directly to the battery terminals, what would happen if it was only connected to one terminal? (apart from the accessory not working of course - so say, only connected to the positive terminal and disconnected from the negative terminal).

Would there be any impact/drain on the battery over time?

An open circuit (no negative/earth connection) shouldn't drain the battery. However, if there is a capacitor I think you can get a drain on the battery with an open circuit.

I caveat the above with the fact that I have very limited knowledge and someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to help.

If you have an accessory that is wired to connect directly to the battery terminals, what would happen if it was only connected to one terminal? (apart from the accessory not working of course - so say, only connected to the positive terminal and disconnected from the negative terminal).

Would there be any impact/drain on the battery over time?
No.

Thanks for the confirmation - it is as I thought but just wanted to double check.

My battery has been going flat recently - most likely due to the truck's lack of use, though the battery (OE Toyota) is about 5 years old - wouldn't have had any problems if I regularly used the truck, but I commute on the train now, so the truck has had hardly any use recently.

I've put the battery on charge with my CTEK on "recon" mode, which should spruce it up but just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something else....

Back