Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ACSD on an auto

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
I am hopefully off over to Germany in a couple of week sto look at a Maltec bodied 80.

One of the things that has transpired from the exchange of emails is the vehicle doesn't seem to have a kick down cable connecting to the autobox.

The owner was upfront about it and said it is not connected because the ACSD has been removed so there is nowhere to connect the cable....?

I thought the ACSD was not part of the cable mechanism and was just a thermo wax devise for altering the timing depending on the engine temp.

Anyone know what he is referring to...? I have asked him to take a photo so I can work out what exactly is missing.

Last edited:
my acsd has been blanked off on my 12v but i still have kick down.

The ACSD affects the position of the throttle by moving the throttle stop. There's obviously too much been removed as you can remove the ACSD without affecting anything else.

Photos would indeed help.

Thanks Nick. I can't get my head round why the kick down mechanism has been removed.

ps. Ive never really checked, im just saying cos it..... kicks down when i boot it.

The ACSD affects the position of the throttle by moving the throttle stop. There's obviously too much been removed as you can remove the ACSD without affecting anything else.

Photos would indeed help.
Now I'm confused as I thought it just altered something in the pump with a plunger.

Once I get a photo off this guy I will have a better idea.... the thought of this truck having been used for some time without the kick down cable being in place does concern me a little. It's the early hydraulic box not the one with solenoids.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah, now you come to mention it Bat, you are right as it alters the timing. I'm thinking of the idle up for the AC. My bad!

Maybe he's refering to the throttle position sensor.
TPS.

I don't ever want to see it.....

I'd love one. Personally I'd just buy it. As stated above it's prob the tps that is removed.
I know you can drive the trucks with a siezed kick down but I'm unsure if it would do damage. I expect the box would just be lazy and not do as it should.

I don't ever want to see it.....
Don't look then :grinning::grinning:
SandCruiser001.jpg

Fek..... he’s now decided not to sell :disappointed:

Just cos I'm curious what is an ACSD for us uninitiated,thanks.
Great looking bit of kit BAT21

Something to do with cold starting

My ACSD was removed prior to my ownership, there is a blanking plate on the side of the pump where it was, and the water flow and return out of the block, to the device has been looped. If you're looking at your pump, the ACSD is the bit the water tubes go into/out of.

..and my kickdown is fine, however Julian from Overland told me the other day that this switch on the top of the pump is for kickdown adjustment, so sounds like they have probably removed it for some reason, but it's entirely unconnected to the ACSD, so not sure why.

kickdownsensor.jpg

sad news about the car btw, looked awesome.

Jut for reference it's not the kick down cable. There isn't one. It is as stated the throttle position sensor cable. As the throttle moves with your foot, this cable slaves off that mechanism to tell the gearbox what's going on. When (not if) this cable seizes solid your box will still kick down. It won't run so well as many have discovered but it still changes up and down. But there's often some lag. The cable sheath collects water and eventually the inner cable rusts through or frays so that it jams in the sheath leaving the end of the cable stuck in the out position thereby confusing the auto box. Replacing it is fairly easy, but dirty and expensive with the cable coming in around £80 Incorrect adjustment of the cable also causes gear change abnormalities. Small changes in it's position can make a big difference. The cable is supposed to sync the engine revs and the gear box together rather than initiate kick down.

So you ask how does it initiate KD? Not a clue I'm afraid.

Jut for reference it's not the kick down cable. There isn't one. It is as stated the throttle position sensor cable. As the throttle moves with your foot, this cable slaves off that mechanism to tell the gearbox what's going on. When (not if) this cable seizes solid your box will still kick down. It won't run so well as many have discovered but it still changes up and down. But there's often some lag. The cable sheath collects water and eventually the inner cable rusts through or frays so that it jams in the sheath leaving the end of the cable stuck in the out position thereby confusing the auto box. Replacing it is fairly easy, but dirty and expensive with the cable coming in around £80 Incorrect adjustment of the cable also causes gear change abnormalities. Small changes in it's position can make a big difference. The cable is supposed to sync the engine revs and the gear box together rather than initiate kick down.

So you ask how does it initiate KD? Not a clue I'm afraid.

right. glad I never touched that then :)

Back