Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Additional Key

I recently had to replace an original key that I lost. I got the blank from ebay but had to go to Toyota for the FOB/remote.
I saved about £40 by doing the programming myself. I should point out that I had a master key to copy/program from.
As I haven't seen a step-by-step on this site, I thought I'd set out what worked for me (on a LC5, 120) - thanks to various internet sources. This was a two-button standard Toyota key.

TRANSPONDER PROGRAMMING

Part 1 - you need to get securitylight to remain on, not off or blinking

There's lots of different info on the internet, but this one worked for me:
*****Start procedurewith drivers door OPEN (not closed)*****, insert master key 5 times and leavein the fifth time (no need to turn key), then close and open drivers door 6times (leave open).
Remove key and then security light should remain on, if notthen start over.
Do not bother trying to insertnew key unless you get security light to stay on. I had to do it a couple of times.

Part 2 - Programming new key

Once you get security light to remain on after performing above steps, theninsert new key (quickly after taking out the original key) and the light should start blinking

Wait until light stops blinking(about one minute) then remove new key and insert master key and turn toignition position, then remove master key, and insert new key and start car.

Put master key in a safe place as I read on the internet that new keys can notbe programmed with previously programmed keys. New keys can only be programmedwith the master key using this method.

REMOTE FOB PROGAMMING

1. Start with the key out of theignition. Drivers door is open all others closed and drivers door is unlocked.

2.Perform these steps within 5 seconds.
A. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.
B. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

3.Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Close then open the drivers door.
B. Close then open the drivers door.
C. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

4.Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Close then open the drivers door.
B. Close then open the drivers door.
C. Insert the key into ignition and leave it in ignition.
D. Close the drivers door.
E. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF.
F. Remove the key from the ignition.

5.Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6.Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remtoe simutaneously for 1.5seconds.
B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, Press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds.
Within 3 seconds, thedoor locks should lock and then unlock once indicating successful programming. If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as theremote was
not accepted.

C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.

7. Open drivers door.

Back