Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice for potential LC5 acquisition

Andys

Country Flag
uk
Hi there. I’m probably posting under false pretences as I’m not yet an LC owner, but I’ve been trawling the Internet for advice and this forum seems to have the best insight! So here goes, hopefully you can help! My wife is Swedish and we spend most of the summer there. For some time I’ve been thinking about getting a 4x4 that we can drive over there rather than keep hiring cars at vast expense. Because the vehicle would do more miles on the continent than here (plus my wife wouldn’t want to drive a RHD on the wrong side of the road) it seems to make sense to get a LHD. There aren’t too many about, but I’ve found a 53 (2003) plate 3.0 D-4D Auto LC5 with around 100,000 miles on the clock for about £13,000. Does that sound like a sensible price and is the LC5 a good vehicle? In the past I lived in Kenya and owned a 1974 V8 Range Rover safari mod, which I did quite a lot of work on myself, but I know nothing about cruisers other than all the NGOs in Kenya used them, and I certainly have no idea about Diesel engines or autoboxes. The car looks tidy and has had only one owner, but any advice or tips would be gratefully received. Thanks a lot for your help.

Where is the vehicle located? Main thing is to check for corrosion underneath, especially chassis and sills. Back of the chassis usually seems to be the worst, but check it all over!

LC5's are good, but expect issues at some point with the air suspension (most have changed to springs). Also the headunit is difficult to upgrade because the touchscreen has other features built in, not just the radio.

There are lots of threads on this site about what to check, you're not the first to ask the question! Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the advice Carl. Much appreciated. It’s for sale via a dealer in Chesham Bucks. Does the price sound reasonable assuming there isn’t any corrosion. I don’t think it actually had a touch screen set up as it still had a cassette player! If you change to springs presumably that means you lose the ability to vary the suspension ride. Cheers

Is it deffo an LC5 then? Have you got any pics? If you give us a link to the advert you will get lots of view from the experts (not me!) on here. This is what this site is great at.

Nobody is likely to nip in and steal it from you either!

Also get the reg and check the MOT history if you haven't already.

13k sounds very steep to me, but let's see what others think!

Personally I think it's a bit pricey for a 2003 LC5, but as per Karl, I think condition underneath is the most important thing to check.

It is also the older box, but being 2003 has lower tax.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Carl. You beat me to it with the link! That’s the car. Not sure why I missed the touch screen when I looked at it. Fiixated by the cassette player. I also didn’t know you could check out MOTs for cars you don’t own! Had a few family cars that have failed MOTs due to corrosion and they just turn into money pits so that doesn’t sound good, although I suppose with the ladder frame it must be easier to fix than with a monocoque.

A dealer in Chesham, Bucks ? Hmmmm. Depending who it is, that sets alarm bells ringing for vehicles for sale mentioned in the past. Anyone else remember ?

I'm sure one if the 80 crew will be along and comment on it shortly.

80's are very well regarded, but they are getting along in years now so there will always be something that needs doing. I've not driven one so can't comment on what it will be like on a long drive, but again with 80's condition is everything.

That's expensive for a LHD petrol 80 in the UK - though the miles look good and MOT check is very clean... but where the hell did it go for 13 years - presume it was packed in a garage/barn somewhere. Not sure whether the US spec will impact anything in terms of parts availability, I'm sure one of the others can comment on this). Interesting that they mention a full restoration - be interested to know more about what was done, by who. Picture of the engine bay would be helpful.

It'll bash across Europe quite happily, though unless you need an 80 series there are probably cheaper (both to buy and run) alternatives.

Thanks Dave! I originally thought of some kind of twin cab as it would have loads of space to lug things over to our summer house in sweden, but there doesn’t seem to be many LHD 4x4s to choose from.

I've got a 2015 Hilux as well as the 80 Series - the Lux is an absolute weapon and I'd thrash it across Europe any time - I'd argue its probably better suited to what you're looking for. Very few in the UK, but it should be easy enough to source one from Europe surely?

That LHD 80 should be passed on. The 4.0 litre engine ( should read 4.2) has its roots in the mists of time and will get you a long way in a long time using prodigious amounts of fuel.
The LHD 120 is double in price what a RHD of that vintage would achieve.

To source a good condition 120 in LHD I'd be looking at one from Italy, Greece , Spain etc where the condition will be unbelievable compared with the UK.

Thanks Dave and Andy. So that’s a pretty empathic no for the 80 then! Just having these chats I was starting to get the buzz I used to have when I owned the 74 safari RR. It was always breaking down (once blew a rad hose in the middle of nowhere by the Masai Mara) but I could generally fix it and you felt part of a community and the noise of the V8! Was thinking a more classic Cruiser could be a good project to get the teenage boy off his screen and we could do some off-roading together.

Keep talking, keep looking.

I've had 80's for the past 25 years but for long distance comfort the 120 is way ahead in ride quality and quietness. Against what you would think though, the 120 isn't better on fuel than my 24V 80.

That's the one, Christ i didn't realise Moms/Tax was so expensive in Sweden....... Great looking Truck 'tho'

Back