Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice from the experts here please.

cokeaddict

Country Flag
australia
Hey guys,
My cousin is about to buy himself a 4wd (1st 4wd for him) He is unsure as to what to buy and I figured It best to ask you guys what to look for with the 80 series. I myself am a GQ owner but love the 80 series as well. Much respect for these beasts.
So asking on behalf of my cousin as to what to look for when buying.
Hes after a 4.2 TD manual. hints on rust spots or issues that can tell if its had a hard life. He is prepared to pay top dollar for a good one so money is not an issue or so he tells me.
I just wanted to help him get a 4wd without ending up spending thousands on a lemon or exhausted work horse.
Maybe you can give me some links to sites where they already have a list of things to watch out for. He is an apprectice Mechanic knows his stuff and willing to expand himself on his new passion being 4wding.

My reason for leaning him towards the 80 series rather than the GQ is simply because the GQ struggles to tow a camper trailer and I know he will get one later.
Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:
Look in the 80 section. Chris did a very nice write up recently.

Have a look here CA.

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/posts/1423495/

There's a 'part 2' as well.

Some of the items, like diff locks for example, are country specific. Chris is describing a UK car built for the UK market.

Welcome to the forum BTW. Maybe your cousin would like to join up too? We're a friendly bunch with a good lot of knowledge and experience on these trucks.

Last edited:
Cheers guys very much. That's what I was looking for. YES once he settles in I will get him to register. Good kid with a brain. Not a cowboy, that's why I enjoy sharing what I know with him.
Once again .. many thanks.
Ange

The world is a better place with good kids with brains around, Ange. Look forward to 'meeting' him on here.

Where abouts are you based?

Take a look at another 'good kid with brains' here. https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/lj70-build-thread.131171/unread

It's a very, very long thread but it's worth a read, well, more of a 'view' as it has loads of photos. May interest your cousin too.

I'm afraid I don't have a clue what a GQ is. Any chance of a photo or two? :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The world is a better place with good kids with brains around, Ange. Look forward to 'meeting' him on here.

Where abouts are you based?

Take a look at another 'good kid with brains' here. https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/lj70-build-thread.131171/unread

It's a very, very long thread but it's worth a read, well, more of a 'view' as it has loads of photos. May interest your cousin too.

I'm afraid I don't have a clue what a GQ is. Any chance of a photo or two? :)

I am in Victoria (AU) for another 12 months then back to Sydney. He lives in Sydney too. I will check out the link this weekend mate. I am sure it will be a great read. Nissan GQ patrol 4.2 turbo Diesel.
MY%20GQ_zpsg0ic9c3a.jpg 2ea1fd86-96b1-4aea-972d-7747f6503fe7_zpsmcvhkykx.jpg

2.jpg
I love my Cruiser but I will admit that there is a place in my heart for a 4.2 Patrol as well - a good friend of mine has one, its a good motor. Both having pros and cons - a hybrid of the two would be an epic tool.

Last edited:
Nice truck Ange, thanks for posting. Looks like you've got it well set up for overlanding. :thumbup:

Nice truck Ange, thanks for posting. Looks like you've got it well set up for overlanding. :thumbup:

Thanks mate,
Yeh its taken 10 years to get it to where I need it to be. Finished it 2 years ago. Started planning it back in 1989 when I got my 1st GQ. After many years exploring with that 1, i knew what I wanted to have and It's perfect. She gets a total strip down every 2 years. This will outlast me. She is ready for her 3 years around Australia trip I am planning in the future.

What turbo setup are you running? top mount or low mount? i have been looking at the Radius fabs manifold for my factory turbo TD42 with a TD05 18G

Back