Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice needed

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Right,
I'm thinking of buying another car, what can you chaps tell me about the Mercedes SL series?

Do you have a specific model and or budget in mind?

Personally, I think a nice R129 (1990s) SL500 would fit the bill - not too expensive to buy like the previous R107 series (1980s) is getting and easier to find good examples, though I do prefer the older shape. The more recent R230 (early 2000s) probably represent best value in terms of purchase price but seem to be quite expensive to maintain and run, as they get older. Having said that a R230 SL63 AMG would be very nice, thank you very much...... :icon-wink:

Whatever you get, budget for a fair whack keeping it on the road.

If I won the lottery, then a (late 1950s) W198 300SL with the gull-wing doors would be just the ticket! ;-)

Good luck :)

Ask my neighbor when he comes to see you Chas. He knows a fair bit about Mercs. Do you have one in mind?

I considered buying one from one of my customers but it was far too rusty. The 80s ones are holding their value if you get the right one. I know of a nice later one that has either sold or is about to be sold.

If I was you Chas i would see how easy they are to get in and out of. They are very low down.

Amazing cars just price up the cost if ownership. You do hear some horror stories of costs with these.

Right,
I'm thinking of buying another car, what can you chaps tell me about the Mercedes SL series?
My mate down the Marina has a G reg SL 500 coupe thing, lovely motor hes just had a genuine merc rear chrome bumper fitted....£1ooo. fitted.. its a fantastic car. could be up for sale at the right money... (I can ask):)

If I was you Chas i would see how easy they are to get in and out of. They are very low down.

Amazing cars just price up the cost if ownership. You do hear some horror stories of costs with these.
That’s a good point Stu makes TBH Chas. They’re pretty low down.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As has been said, make sure you can get in and out. What sort of age \ budget? Looking at the politest way of saying this, you are on the accident prone side lol. An SL will not be as easy to patch up as an 80.

From a mechanical repair point of view an R129 (about 1989 - 2002) is probably the best bet. The slightly newer R230 (about 2002 - 2011) has a lot more technology that is not as reliable as it could be. Early R230's were from a period when Merc build quality was in the hands of the accountants rather than the engineers. A definite low point.

Many thanks for all your replies chaps, what has been said about getting into the car and comments on reliability and costs has made me think again about an SL, one of the things that attracted me in the first place was the electric hood, I'll have another look round at alternatives.

I reckon you’d be OK with a late 70’s-80s model Chas if you can find a good one in your price range. They’re more convertible saloon than low slung soft top sports car, the best looking version IMO, have appreciating classic status and relatively easy on maintenance/repair compared to the much later versions which have complex electronics running just about everything and we all know what that means when things go wrong.JMO
http://mb107.com/pics/manuals/mb107esl.jpg

I reckon you’d be OK with a late 70’s-80s model Chas if you can find a good one in your price range. They’re more convertible saloon than low slung soft top sports car, the best looking version IMO, have appreciating classic status and relatively easy on maintenance/repair compared to the much later versions which have complex electronics running just about everything and we all know what that means when things go wrong.JMO
http://mb107.com/pics/manuals/mb107esl.jpg
That’s the style I was looking at. Classy and good ones are appreciating.

That's (R107 series) is the one I prefer too..... nice 500SL, just imagine cruising down to the South of France (or pretty much anywhere) on Summer's day; heaven.

ive got a convertable clk 430 v8 chas. nice smooth motor.
I.m gonna get the Romania trip out of the way before I decide which one to look for Karl, is your one for sale, can you put a pic on, (as long as it's not a red one) black, white or silver would be good

Mines not forsale Chas no. ive got some
body work to do on mine but that can eait untill next year. for the money you can get the clk for mate its pocket money and an investment. the sl500s ect are on there way up now. i have my eye on an sl but its not forsale at the min.

this is it

20180512_141517.jpg

Many thanks for all your replies chaps, what has been said about getting into the car and comments on reliability and costs has made me think again about an SL, one of the things that attracted me in the first place was the electric hood, I'll have another look round at alternatives.
Don’t be put off Chas. Just try before you buy. The older 80s ones are great cars, easier to get in and out and often come with a hard top. Yes there’s stuff to go wrong but many are well maintained. As always, rust is the killer. Parts aren’t cheap but if you don’t need them then there’s not too much to spend. Blue ones fetch the most, and re-sell for most in the best condition.

Back